Tuesday, May 10, 2011

until I practised firing it.Lift it high. I said.

 If they did
 If they did. I said. When there is really work they trust us. She came back from wherever she had been. that looked chalky white and furrowed. This captain baited him often. hotter and slower than ever: then the stragglers. In two days the offensive was to start and I would go with the cars to Plava.Sit down. Where have you beenCalling on the British. They will love you like a son. We are mechanics. havent youBut I lost the truss.

 The shutters were up but it was still going on inside. keeping to the side. Rinaldi was sitting on the bed with a copy of Hugos English grammar. There were three others to locate. How are the girlsThere are no girls. I leaned forward in the dark to kiss her and there was a sharp stinging flash. the line of ties and rails running along it.Its not serious I hope. She was not in the garden and I had to wait in the office of the hospital until she came down. doing things that hurt sharply and severing tissue Are you sureMe trying to lie still and feeling my stomach flutter when the flesh was cut. brushed my hair and we started.You were quite right. Maybe she would.

Pas encore. I think not. After a while the English ambulance came up and they put me onto a stretcher and lifted the stretcher up to the ambulance level and shoved it in. Tenente.A shell fell close and they both dropped to the ground and dropped me. Some one probably got it at one of the dressing stations. the operation was successful. Villa San Giovanni. Manera finished.Dont go. I looked at the tires carefully. Jt was warm and like the spring and I walked down the alleyway of trees. baby.

Listen. Ive seen your Tenente. Manera said. I said. Were not cloistered.Oh. a few freshly washed. Her hand had hit my nose and eyes. mama Mia.The priest was young and blushed easily and wore a uniform like the rest of us but with a cross in dark red velvet above the left breast pocket of his gray tunic. As I looked out at the garden I heard a motor truck starting on the road. These V. however.

 A. fast and shallow.A rivederci.Yes. We wont drop you again. Sculpture had always seemed a dull businessstill.There isnt any place.It is true. The grappa was very strong. But even the peasants know better than to believe in a war. I helped him down. At the post on the top they took the stretcher out and put another in and we went on. There was that beginning of a feeling of dryness in the nose that meant the day would be hot later on.

 the tall Englishman said in Italian. It was the first time I had ever heard her laugh. I saw the town with the hill and the old castle above it in a cup in the hills with the mountains beyond. I thought she was probably a little crazy. I had been up the river to the bridgehead at Plava.Shall we sit here or go out in the gardenLets go out. One of their drivers came over to me. Outside the sergeant adjutant knelt down beside me where I lay.There will be no more offensive now that the snow has come. jaundice. He laughed. I always thought he was French. I said.

Like the Tchecos. The war was changed too. Her hand had hit my nose and eyes. that the office opened on.But now we will shut up.Ive heard about it. I said I was sorry. Inside the dugout were the three drivers sitting against the wall.You are crazy. To the silver medal. He was the Kings uncle and commanded the third army. He bit his arm and moaned. He laughed.

Oh. There were big guns too that passed in the day drawn by tractors.Wed take quite good care of them and return them to the villa.He wiped his hands on his jumper and grinned. Fillipo Vincenza.Wait a minute. she said.This is the picturesque front. Nobody was in sight.You want us to stay here or can we look aroundBetter stay here. I wish she were here now. I didnt mean to hurt you. on the street.

 There is nothing worse than war. Anybody may crack.Tenente. Let him go to centres of culture and civilization. loosely packed cigarettes that spilled tobacco and needed to have the ends twisted before you smoked them. I said that was a foul lie and. She put it in my hand. This is close to the front. Baby is puzzled. Firenze. Gordini got up and ran for the dugout. He stopped and sat down beside the road. A trench mortar shell.

 The Italian salute never seemed made for export.Were you in the StatesSure.So you make progress with Miss BarkleyWe are friends. she said. He came in very fast and bent down over the bed and kissed me. You may come and see her after seven oclock if you wish. and then a drink of the wine. I saw the blanket open. He bit his arm and moaned. Im sorry for your head. Your blood coagulates beautifully. I could not see the guns but they were evidently firing directly over us. sometimes now seeing his face and little long necked body and gray beard like a goats chin tuft; all these with the sudden interiors of houses that had lost a wall through shelling.

 The saint hung down on the Outside of my uniform and I undid the throat of my tunic.If it wasnt that that happens to their families nobody would go to the attack. We have to just walk here.Do we eat yet. SicilyHe should visit Amalfi. Tell me really what was the best.In Milano. baby. The officers all wore helmets; betterfitting helmets. Evidently it did not matter whether I was there or not.Fine. The Englishman broke into voluble and perfect Italian. for your own good.

 They returned it with his things.It is a filthy and vile book.Sit down. In the town there were more guns. Dear Catherine.Let me feel it..He should have fine girls. I said. Rocca ignored this and went on to explain the joke to me. They would take me as soon as possible. The pain hasnt started yet. three men nurses and a doctor and picked you up out of bed and carried you into the dressing room so that the beds could be made while we were having our wounds dressed.

 It evidently made no difference whether I was there to look after things or not. but it was not successful. stupid from inexperience. the captain commenced picking on the priest. Rinaldi. higher snow mountains. I said. was blonde and had a tawny skin and gray eyes. Some looked pretty bad. It was hard and slippery.There isnt any place. We passed a long column of loaded mules.Whats wrong with your legIts not my leg.

We think.I will send her. My orderly had cut paper into strips and tied the strips to a stick to make a brush that swished the flies away. His shoulder was smashed and his head was hurt.Yes. It ought to be good. My Austrian snipers rifle with its blued octagon barrel and the lovely dark walnut. without embarrassment. she said.Another night. While I rubbed myself with a towel I looked around the room and out the window and at Rinaldi lying with his eyes closed on the bed. People cant realize what France is like. I said and went back to the house and drank another bowl of coffee at the mess table.

 in which you said things instead of playing cards.Wonderful. No that wasnt it.It was because we were scared. below in the town. Ill send your English girl. They splashed more mud than the camions even and if one of the officers in the back was very small and sitting between two generals.After a while we said good-night and left.Whats to stop itIt will crack somewhere. Troops went by the house and down the road and the dust they raised powdered the leaves of the trees. I wore a real one and felt like a gunman until I practised firing it.Lift it high. I said.

No comments:

Post a Comment