Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Then I forgot about him.

Its better to wear him
Its better to wear him. The saint hung down on the Outside of my uniform and I undid the throat of my tunic.That night at the mess I sat next to the priest and he was disappointed and suddenly hurt that I had not gone to the Abruzzi. He breathed very heavily. shes very nice. They carried wounded in and brought them out. But I am telling it for our priest here.There is a class that controls a country that is stupid and does not realize anything and never can. They lifted me and the blanket flap went across my face as we went out.Ten cars were lined up side by side under the long shed. Every day I learn to do things smoother and better. We have to just walk here. It ought to be good.And the priest was locked up. Hes all right.

 fast and shallow. wiped off the blade and pared off the dirty outside surface of the cheese. the car looking disgraced and empty with the engine open and parts spread on the work bench. thats nothing to how it will feel later. You could not tell anything about them. Oh Jesus lovely Mary stop it. We have to just walk here.They want to eat.Thats nothing. The river was low and there were stretches of sand and pebbles with a narrow channel of water and sometimes the water spread like a sheen over the pebbly bed. I remember having a silly idea he might come to the hospital where I was. They had always cracked in other wars. In Pittsburgh. The telescope that fitted it was. They returned it with his things.

 the water clear.You will. If they did. With a girl it is painful. There were trees along both sides of the road and through the right line of trees I saw the river. E. Its good. that there had been three others. The division for which we worked were to attack at a place up the river and the major told me that I would see about the posts for during the attack. You are a dear. Because we would not wear any clothes because it was so hot and the window open and the swallows flying over the roofs of the houses and when it was dark afterward and you went to the window very small bats hunting over the houses and close down over the trees and we would drink the capri and the door locked and it hot and only a sheet and the whole night and we would both love each other all night in the hot night in Milan. Hes very good.We sat on the flat stone bench and I held Catherine Barkleys hand. and went through the trenches in the smasheddown town and along the edge of the slope. I said to the priest.

 Gavuzzi said. Now I must go back to sleep to be fresh and beautiful for Miss Barkley. Shes a nurse. That day I visited the posts in the mountains and was back in town late in the afternoon. English goddess.Im all right. Now the fighting was in the next mountains beyond and was not a mile away. I am now in love with Miss Barkley. Then I thought of his puttees.You dont need to say a lot of nonsense. the line of the river that separated the two armies. I tried again and my legs moved a little.No. I did not care what I was getting into. The sun was going down and the day was cooling off.

That is not good.Yes.There was great laughter from everybody. This machine is no good but the others march. Passini was dead. when I learned it. The battery fired twice and the air came each time like a blow and shook the window and made the front of my pajamas flap.Some of the officers went alone. But it was checked and in the end only seven thousand died of it in the army.No.Its a charming place. It was not a pleasant trip to the dressing room and I did not know until later that beds could be made with men in them.Oh. said the captain. be selected by the infantry but we were supposed to work it out.

Did they scare you.Maybe girls dont want to go to the front any more.Oh I love to tease you.How is he the Englishman called back. and then there were mountains far off beyond all these that you could hardly tell if you really saw.You.Do you think it would be any good to try and see her tomorrowYes. The major was a little man with upturned mustaches. Most of the helmets were too big and came down almost over the ears of the men who wore them. Maria. and good news. He makes big preparations. No one to come in at night from adventures. While I was looking at him he opened his eyes.Oh.

It sounds very funny nowCatherine. it couldnt all go on.You dont go at allI just go to see if there is anything new. In the bed of the river there were pebbles and boulders. baby.I will send Miss Barkley. Mr. and found we still lived in the same house and that it all looked the same as when I had left it. I said. and with the end of the summer.Ill leave you two.Hows everythingNot so bad. All the officers were very happy. as the road mounted along the ridge. The coffee was a pale gray and sweet with condensed milk.

 The mechanics were working on one out in the yard. My hand went in and my knee was down on my shin.Four for 105. It was not wide enough either to carry all the transport for an offensive and the Austrians could make a shambles out of it.No. I wondered who had done them and how much he got. It was very hot and when I woke my legs itched. And you never know if the girl will really like it.Lift it high. Why did you do itI dont know. The trunks of the trees too were dusty and the leaves fell early that year and we saw the troops marching along the road and the dust rising and leaves. What is defeat You go home.Go to hell. then crossed the river. if the war should end.

 TenenteNo. the major said.We walked along together through the town and I chewed the coffee. Every day I am better. Nor for the beautiful uniforms.5 mm. major. You dont pronounce it very much alike. I said. I heard the machine guns and rifles firing across the river and all along the river. I told them what I had heard.Hell say I did it on purpose. and pounded on the window to attract his attention.I have brought him in. Ill not learn it in two weeks.

 Some looked pretty bad. One thing after another. Troops went by the house and down the road and the dust they raised powdered the leaves of the trees. They were big and shy and embarrassed and very appreciative together of anything that happened. We were just beginning to get some of them. she said. There was an English there. No that wasnt it.Truly I tell you something about your good women. Then the major told the story of the eleven Czechoslovaks and the Hungarian corporal. They were afraid.Also they make money out of it. Tenente. We went for a stretcher but there wasnt any. We went on and passed the regiment about a mile ahead.

 instead there is a war.Not even for the beautiful languageNo.You dont need to say a lot of nonsense. the stumps of trees projected. Florence. he said. go to hell. said Manera.No. She stood up and put out her hand.WhereMilano. he said. My orderly had finished pouring water and the bed felt cool and lovely and I was telling him where to scratch on the soles of my feet against the itching when one of the doctors brought in Rinaldi.All right. It was a big trench mortar shell.

 I denied this. I heard the machine guns and rifles firing across the river and all along the river. I went back and told the drivers I would get them as soon as the food came. The shock dulls the pain; but this is all right.Its not really the army. A shell burst short near the river bank.Youd better chew some coffee. Baby is puzzled. He denied all knowledge of the five per cent bonds. After I was wounded I never found him. As far as I could make out the last mile or so of the new road where it started to level out would be able to be shelled steadily by the Austrians. I gave them each a package of cigarettes. without embarrassment.I took out my knife. It would not rip and I bit the edge of the cloth to start it.

 the orderly said. As soon as I got to the dressing station Manera brought a medical sergeant out and he put bandages on both my legs.Yes there is. But they say a Saint Anthonys very useful.I walked behind her out into the garden. It was hard and slippery. I gave them each a package of cigarettes. she said. They were laughing. Priest not happy. Rinaldi was sitting on the bed with a copy of Hugos English grammar. Tell me really what was the best.We sat down on a bench and I looked at her. Rinaldi said goodnight. and the major started us with red wine in mugs.

 I dressed. I had drunk much wine and afterward coffee and Strega and I explained.Ill be right here. she said. when I learned it. she said. Tenente.Just as you like. They were very nice and we had a big evening.Just as you like. The doctors were working with their sleeves up to their shoulders and were red as butchers. You dont have to pretend you love me.Shes Scotch.Well be most careful of them. lootenant.

 his hands moving very fast and the bandage coming taut and sure.Id really rather. Name he asked softly. tenente (first finger). But dont bring a lot of Italians. There were three doctors that I knew. capitano (next finger). he said in Italian. I drove back to Gorizia and our villa and.Savoia. I am positive you will get the silver.Four for 105. lieutenant. Sometimes I think you and he are a little that way. holding their chins close over the basin.

 It ought to be good.It doesnt finish. My Austrian snipers rifle with its blued octagon barrel and the lovely dark walnut. Lots of them would have liked him to be king. Inexperienced. Bless me. Because were going to have a strange life. gentlemen. she said. It does not go so well.Do you always know what people thinkNot always.Its a silly front. But they are still fools. They were seventysevens and came with a whishing rush of air. Manera lit his lighter and passed it around.

All right. When I came back to the front we still lived in that town. The fields were green and there were small green shoots on the vines.When I got back to the villa it was five oclock and I went out where we washed the cars. You dont have to pretend you love me. the captain commenced picking on the priest. We passed a long column of loaded mules. They wouldnt attack. We are not peasants. They tell me youre an American.Porta feriti I shouted holding my hands cupped. It is protected by the little hill. I was after him. They were silent until I went out. Then I forgot about him.

No comments:

Post a Comment