Tuesday, May 10, 2011

the new road and take the empty trucks. Messina.

Youre not a Catholic
Youre not a Catholic.No.Why notNo. father. You only pretend to be American. It is one for The Lancet. We went on and passed the regiment about a mile ahead. As far as I could make out the last mile or so of the new road where it started to level out would be able to be shelled steadily by the Austrians. You are really an Italian.You are ignorant. When we were out on the gravel drive she said. although I learned it later. the line of the river that separated the two armies.

 It was a hot night and there was a good deal going on up in the mountains. No blood brother and roommate.I cut the cheese into pieces and laid them on the macaroni. The wine was bad but not dull.It was a ghastly show. Still I would probably have been killed. she said. He breathed very heavily. I sat in the high seat of the Fiat and thought about nothing. and healthy. went to the jail and asked to see the priest. they would. The officers all wore helmets; betterfitting helmets.

 I just couldnt stand the nurseseveningoff aspect of it. They are all without law to protect them. she said. and good news. The door was open. He laughed. I thought he had a fine name and he came from Minnesota which made a lovely name: Ireland of Minnesota. His mother sent it to me. I tried to move sideways so that it did not fall on me. It would only be worse if we stopped fighting.I will go and see. Would you like us to take the carsThats what I wanted to ask you. the orderly said.

We wont quarrel. We are all splendid. havent youBut I lost the truss. I unwound the puttee and while I was doing it I saw there was no need to try and make a tourniquet because he was dead already. and come back like this. I went back to the drivers.How do you do Miss Barkley said. I asked what time the attack was to he and they said as soon as it was dark.Has there been any trouble getting parts I asked the sergeant mechanic. Poor dear baby. the leather shiny with oil. Outside it was nearly dark.You were sweet to tell me.

 Shall attack!The priest nodded. where it was clear cold and dry and the snow was dry and powdery and haretracks in the snow and the peasants took off their hats and called you Lord and there was good hunting. darling.Thats a relief. One killed and the fellow that brought you. You know more about it than I do. maybe yes. All right. Rinaldi put away the bottle and we went down the stairs. Its good. without embarrassment. in order that I might understand perfectly. the basins and the stoppered bottles.

I looked outside. said the captain.I was away for two days at the posts. said Passini and spat on the floor. It came very fast and the sun went a dull yellow and then everything was gray and the sky was covered and the cloud came on down the mountain and suddenly we were in it and it was snow. How is your headGood Christ I said.Here is the corkscrew. Stop it. had some coffee in the kitchen and went out to the garage. I was angry and yet certain. What inflicted the woundsThe medical captain.Be serious. he said when he saw me.

 with the eyes shut. Signor Tenente. I shouted to the driver.Has there been any trouble getting parts I asked the sergeant mechanic.Three hundred fives. Anybody can take their property. There were stretchers lifted and slid into the slings above.Do you think it would be any good to try and see her tomorrowYes. He went back inside. He ought to be able to do something. and went through the trenches in the smasheddown town and along the edge of the slope. I did hurt you. He had been in the war in Libya and wore two woundstripes.

 I wore one when we went up to the posts and carried an English gas mask.I sat in the reception hail of the villa.Here is the corkscrew. looking out of the window of the bawdy house. Now they try to forget it. I wanted to go to the Black Forest. Ha! Ha! Ha! The captain spread his hand open.We drove fast when we were over the bridge and soon we saw the dust of the other cars ahead down the road. I looked at the tires carefully. I said. My friend motioned for him to come in. He said that if the thing went well he would see that I was decorated.Dont you wish you could bellow like himHe bellows.

 The captain spoke pidgin Italian for my doubtful benefit.If I go back theyll make me get operated on and then theyll put me in the line all the time. When I came back to the front we still lived in that town.There were small gray motor cars that passed going very fast usually there was an officer on the seat with the driver and more officers in the back seat.Youre dirty.Yes. mama Mia I pulled and twisted and got my legs loose finally and turned around and touched him.Its way out. I said. I took another mouthful and some cheese and a rinse of wine. painted gray and built like moving-vans. My knee wasnt there. the orderly said.

I have to get washed and report. then it pattered into a stream. yes. While I was looking at him he opened his eyes. He spread the hand again.Oh.Yes. waiting for Catherine Barkley to come down.Im not drunk.I have to get washed and report.There arent any four hundred twenties in the mountains. I made sure he was dead. The priest was good but dull.

 and the argument went on. with plaster and rubble in their gardens and sometimes in the street. I said. Then. Ahead there was a rounded turn off in the road to the right and looking down I could see the road dropping through the trees. without embarrassment. who said Miss Barkley was on dutytheres a war on. as I went in.We might sit there just for a little while. I wore one when we went up to the posts and carried an English gas mask. It might be good though. And in the town we have beautiful English girls. to ride along the road across the plain and deliver the wounded at the two hospitals.

Do you want to very muchYes.Four hundred twenty or minnenwerfer. darling. Goodnight. For two weeks now they havent changed them. Tenente. I had treated seeing Catherine very lightly.That priest. Are you coming to nightNo. The shock dulls the pain; but this is all right.The priest smiled. Some wore their steel helmets but most of them carried them slung from their packs. chewed.

 It took the enamel off your teeth and left it on the roof of your mouth.The granatieri are tall. darling. Stupid. long 6. There was a little shelter of green branches outside over the entrance and in the dark the night wind rustled the leaves dried by the sun. He had to sign the proposition for the citation. and relaxed. because they did not bombard it to destroy it but only a little in a military way. I love you too much.They cant hang every one. The tall English driver came around and looked in. All alone at the war with no new girls.

 Your goddesses.Id rather wait. What if we take San Gabriele What if we take the Carso and Monfalcone and Trieste Where are we then Did you see all the far mountains to day Do you think we could take all them too Only if the Austrians stop fighting. But the little Scotch one is very nice. Stop it. I looked in the door of the big room and saw the major sitting at his desk.That is not good. They were very nice and we had a big evening. We grew up together. said the lieutenant. But its very beautiful. Hes coming to see you. Ill wrap you up and dont bounce your head around.

 darling. I thought she was probably a little crazy. she said. it was slow in the traffic.Maybe girls dont want to go to the front any more. I had not said it before.No. however. But Im back now. said the priest. I handed it to Gordini. The system was to bring everything down the new road and take the empty trucks. Messina.

No comments:

Post a Comment