Tuesday, May 10, 2011

I drove back to Gorizia and our villa and.

They cant do anything
They cant do anything. wop. Ill wrap you up and dont bounce your head around.I thought it over. I must go. the water clear. One is dead. But I thought it would be bad for him. aint this a goddam warListen. It was there that the offensive was to begin. Tell me exactly what happened.One of those shot by the carabinieri is from my town. waxy looking. The grappa was very strong. I thought somebody was screaming.

 There is no finish to a war.All right. One thing after another. It was very edifying.Like the Tchecos. the tall Englishman said in Italian.The Pope wants the Austrians to win the war. He ought to be able to do something. There was much traffic at night and many mules on the roads with boxes of ammunition on each side of their pack-saddles and gray motor trucks that carried men. I did not care what I was getting into.Yes.Thank you very much.The driver came out of the door with the papers for the wounded in the car. Will you have a cigaretteThanks.The priest smiled.

 We will take over the two cars. I wanted to go to Austria without war. I will send the liaison officer. I practised with it. dropping them in a basin. I dressed. There were many strong smells.He likes it. brushed my hair and we started. Gordini said. What is defeat You go home. Stop it.We sat on the flat stone bench and I held Catherine Barkleys hand. Gordini winced and smiled.Priest every night five against one.

 Rinaldi was sitting on the bed with a copy of Hugos English grammar. You are really an Italian. baby. Priest wants Austrians to win the war. He held up the glass. I said. the line of the river that separated the two armies. Its only a little sometimes. He would loan them mess tins if they did not have them. then choking. There is good hunting. They are too stupid. drunk. It seemed no more dangerous to me myself than war in the movies. I said to Gordini.

 I sat in the high seat of the Fiat and thought about nothing. I said.Oh. Jesus Christ.Probably. He was dressed.He was a very nice boy.Do you always know what people thinkNot always. I said. maybe yes. baby.Lift it high. but with the difference between us. he said when he saw me. They take your home.

Rinaldi looked at me blankly. The Saint Anthony was in a little white metal capsule.All bersaglieriI think so. I waked the orderly and he poured mineral water on the dressings. you met British men and sometimes women. And we have gotten away from the war. Some one was coming down the hallway. I translated. My knee wasnt there. We drank rum and it was very friendly. Bring a glass. Listen. It seemed no more dangerous to me myself than war in the movies. and relaxed.Its very odd though.

 The gravel paths were moist and the grass was wet with dew. This took place at B?ziers. He held up the glass. the smashed tunnel by the river where the fighting had been. In Pittsburgh. He looked at me.I knocked over his candle with the pillow and got into bed in the dark.Bassi wins. They were bersaglieri.I dried my hands and took out my pocketbook from the inside of my tunic hanging on the wall.You dont need to say a lot of nonsense.Dont bring Caruso. Really. The road was screened because it was in sight of the Austrians across the river. Back at the villa I went upstairs to the room.

Yes. one for troops and one for officers. The major was a little man with upturned mustaches.There arent enough troops here for a real attack. painted gray and built like moving-vans.Good. Look at your valorous conduct in asking to go always to the first line.Where is the gasoline park nowAt the same place. There were many marble busts on painted wooden pillars along the walls of the room they used for an office. to take a shower. I sat now in the chair and an orderly of some sort looked at me disapprovingly from behind a desk while I looked at the marble floor. Youre not an Italian. In the meantime we were all at the mess. the thumb up and fingers outspread as when you make shadow pictures. Some one came in and as the door opened I could see the snow falling.

 You may come and see her after seven oclock if you wish.Hes an American.In Milano. I said. It did not have anything to do with me. One of the medical captains said the attack had been put forward an hour. She let me take it and I held it and put my arm around under her arm. the old bridge where the railway crossed to the other side and across. went to the jail and asked to see the priest. looking for cuts or stone bruises.No. all of myself. the captain said. the tall Englishman said in Italian. yes.

 I said. A. as the road mounted along the ridge. I looked back and saw Rinaldi standing watching me and waved to him. Not Ba?chus.Yes. Genoa was the place to see the bad marbles. You see Im not mad and Im not gone off. isnt there I was brought up to think there was. I had a very fine little show and Im all right now. baby.Could I see her just for a momentThey sent an orderly to see and she came back with him.I do not believe it. Here at the brickyard we were sheltered from rifle or machine gun fire by the river bank. They were sitting in the dugout talking and when I came in they stopped.

Do we have to go on and talk this wayNo. We stood outside the door on the patch and he said. opened it.All right. and the major started us with red wine in mugs. They would. Ive seen you about. The little major looked at us furious.How is everythingSplendid.How do you do I said. Ill not learn it in two weeks. I said. the captain commenced picking on the priest.Dont go. The grappa was very strong.

Dont bring Caruso.Im awfully sorry. I thought perhaps he couldnt stand it and then of course he was killed and that was the end of it. holding their chins close over the basin.I know it is bad but we must finish it. It is disgraceful.The plain was rich with crops there were many orchards of fruit trees and beyond the plain the mountains were brown and bare. But if you have had it you know.Its way out. there was a soldier sitting on a bench outside in the sun. but not losing sight of the priest.What the hell.I walked behind her out into the garden. Stretcher bearers came in all the time. We are war brothers.

 I said. He can handle the English. The Englishman broke into voluble and perfect Italian. Another burst and in the noise you could hear the smaller noise of the brick and dirt raining down. Helen Ferguson. I always thought he was French. long 6. I said. please. There was a great splashing and I saw the star shells go up and burst and float whitely and rockets going up and heard the bombs. It takes a long time to be. I do sometimes. A V.Sit down. We were in the second army.

 I said.Theyll send you to a hospital.They cant hang every one. Tell me. then took a bite of cheese. looking at my eyes all the time.Ten cars were lined up side by side under the long shed. We are brothers and we love each other. whether or not things were obtainable.She looked at me.He took off his gloves. I was there and reading of it in the paper. I was experiencing the masculine difficulty of making love very long standing up.He should have fine girls.Maybe girls dont want to go to the front any more.

 I handed the canteen back to Passini. Rinaldi was sitting on the bed with a copy of Hugos English grammar.We must shut up. with strange planes. brown mountains with a little green on their slopes. What is defeat You go home. One of their drivers came over to me. he touched the little finger.Dont get angry. It is very informative.It would be fine if you would take the cars. They blew him all to bits. I heard the machine guns and rifles firing across the river and all along the river. Priest wants Austrians to win the war. Thats where the money comes from.

 People lived on in it and there were hospitals and cafe and artillery up side streets and two bawdy houses. They tell me youre an American.Im not angry.It could not be worse. the water blue like the sky. You are a dear. But I do with you.If it wasnt that that happens to their families nobody would go to the attack. He brought them over to me. You dont have to pretend you love me. darling. Im not.I guess youve got a fracture all right. Gordini could not drive. you dont.

Kiss me.Well be most careful of them. Are you coming to nightNo. Henry.I took off my tunic and shirt and washed in the cold water in the basin. painted gray and built like moving-vans. I suppose. There isnt always an explanation for everything. come. They wouldnt attack if they did. I would have liked to drive over the new road but it was not yet finished. I hope shes not ill. The road here was below the level of the river bank and all along the side of the sunken road there were holes dug in the bank with infantry in them. We grew up together. I drove back to Gorizia and our villa and.

No comments:

Post a Comment