Tuesday, May 10, 2011

father.Tenente. isnt itQuite.

 They are keeping them for the pleasure of dugout hiders in the rear
 They are keeping them for the pleasure of dugout hiders in the rear.Thank you very much. His mother sent it to me. Porta feriti I tried to get closer to Passini to try to put a tourniquet on the legs but I could not move. It tells you about those priests. For stupidity. and the major started us with red wine in mugs.Couldnt you take me no place elseIf it was closer to the front I could take you to a first medical post. One thing after another. The dressing station was on the Austrian side of the river under the edge of the hill and stretcherbearers would bring the wounded back across the pontoon bridge.Who goes to the attack asked Gavuzzi. bronzes looked like something.Some of the officers went alone. Fragments of enemy trench mortar shell.Yes.

 the operation was successful. The telescope that fitted it was.Priest wants us never to attack. I wore a real one and felt like a gunman until I practised firing it. He held up the glass.No. They carried wounded in and brought them out. I stop by. The officers all came from such good families. He had to sign the proposition for the citation. and a few more houses had been hit by shell fire.There arent any four hundred twenties in the mountains.Dont worry.Youre a good old boy. said Passini.

 I could go to Spain if there was no war. Do you have to take me to that regimentYes. the car looking disgraced and empty with the engine open and parts spread on the work bench.Hows everythingNot so bad. I said. I saw that word pricked him and kept on. It is very informative. I said. Really. I asked him what happened and he said.Dont go. lay asleep on the other bed.I see.I said I knew. stupid from inexperience.

 Maybe you will get an English medal too. Miss Barkley was in the garden. where it was clear cold and dry and the snow was dry and powdery and haretracks in the snow and the peasants took off their hats and called you Lord and there was good hunting.I believe in the Free Masons. You cant. The wind blew the leaves in the bower over the door of the dressing station and the night was getting cold. Driving in convoy is not unpleasant if you are the first car and I settled back in the seat and watched the country. she said. I wouldnt be able to get the stretcher out alone. But back here youve got to have papers. and healthy.It could not be worse.Priest every night five against one. No one to come in at night from adventures. I helped him down.

 It was a one road show. It was a hot day and the sky was very bright and blue and the road was white and dusty. When people realize how bad it is they cannot do anything to stop it because they go crazy. I started when he did. I said. You wont go awayNo. I am very moved to see you badly wounded. sucked and snapped in the ends. But I thought it would be bad for him. I knew I did not love Catherine Barkley nor had any idea of loving her. Its been in there too long. and the frescoes on the wall and waited for Miss Barkley. I hurried up the driveway and inside the reception hall I asked for Miss Barkley. said the driver in Italian looking at the hernia man. Every one at the table laughed.

 It was quiet. instead there is a war. The forest had been green in the summer when we had come into the town but now there were the stumps and the broken trunks and the ground torn up. Then the major told the story of the eleven Czechoslovaks and the Hungarian corporal. Rocca ignored this and went on to explain the joke to me.It was just beyond where we turned off. The other officers were amused at the baiting.We sat down on a bench and I looked at her. The division for which we worked were to attack at a place up the river and the major told me that I would see about the posts for during the attack. They arent girls; they are old war comrades. I said. I had a very fine little show and Im all right now. I wiped my hand on my shirt and another floating light came very slowly down and I looked at my leg and was very afraid. You wont go awayNo. I watched them settle on the ceiling.

 Gordini winced and smiled.We sat down on a bench and I looked at her. and then there were mountains far off beyond all these that you could hardly tell if you really saw.Yes. father. I always thought he was French. He breathed very heavily. We drank the second grappa. I hope you feel better. really.I dont believe a word of this.What is her nameFerguson. spilled the thin gold chain together and put it all in my breast pocket.They have big Skoda guns. walking carefully in the slush.

 I am very moved to see you badly wounded. It came very fast and the sun went a dull yellow and then everything was gray and the sky was covered and the cloud came on down the mountain and suddenly we were in it and it was snow.I am sorry.I washed. he said. he straightened up.Ill go and see now. The shock dulls the pain; but this is all right. I wore a real one and felt like a gunman until I practised firing it. With a girl it is painful. tannic and lovely. baby.Ca va bienCa va. I have to go.Do the men know that who attackI dont think so.

We drove fast when we were over the bridge and soon we saw the dust of the other cars ahead down the road. The two captains took off their coats. It was very edifying. three men nurses and a doctor and picked you up out of bed and carried you into the dressing room so that the beds could be made while we were having our wounds dressed.You see Ive been leading a sort of a funny life. The other officers were amused at the baiting. and one day at the end of the fall when I was out where the oak forest had been I saw a cloud coming over the mountain. Manera said.He took off his gloves.Its not really the army. I wouldnt be able to get the stretcher out alone. I held her close against me and could feel her heart beating and her lips opened and her head went back against my hand and then she was crying on my shoulder. You may come and see her after seven oclock if you wish. I wished we had a Napoleon. father.

 Ill be wise like you. How are the girlsThere are no girls. Did you think I was Italian There were some Italians with one of our units. With a girl it is painful. tipping their heads back. where I sat with a friend and two glasses drinking a bottle of Asti. I had not noticed her. But the Italians had crossed and spread out a little way on the far side to hold about a mile and a half on the Austrian side of the river. said Rinaldi. Rinaldi was sitting on the bed with a copy of Hugos English grammar.Oh.Be a good boy and be careful. There were some British batteries up with the third army. There is no finish to a war.Are you unwoundedWe are both wounded a little.

 I looked across the wire at the Austrian lines. that looked chalky white and furrowed.It could not be worse. it couldnt all go on.In the ward at the field hospital they told me a visitor was coming to see me in the afternoon. she said. Tenente. Manera said. Did you do any heroic actNo. Its much cooler. He slapped his gloves on the edge of the bed.She looked down at the grass. You do me a translation and I will send it to The Lancet. and pounded on the window to attract his attention. and stopped at the main dressing station.

 This was a joke. The forest had been green in the summer when we had come into the town but now there were the stumps and the broken trunks and the ground torn up.I have to go. crossed the pontoon bridge. He made a gesture and laughed loudly. Rinaldi came in while I was undressing. It was very hot and when I woke my legs itched. I saw the town with the hill and the old castle above it in a cup in the hills with the mountains beyond.The granatieri are tall.We looked at each other in the dark. He can be here until you are ready to take him. Florence. She stood up and put out her hand. I wore a real one and felt like a gunman until I practised firing it. He slapped the bed with his glove.

 she said. Outside it was nearly dark.This isnt a deep dugout. Are you coming to nightNo. the priest said.The priest smiled. Every one at the table laughed. To your valorous wounds. Her hand had hit my nose and eyes.No. I shouted to the driver. I wondered who had done them and how much he got. Miss Barkley said. I am just more affectionate.Thank you for the coffee beans.

 I wanted to go to the Black Forest.I went along the narrow road down toward the river. unloaded them and went away.Where have you beenAt the Villa Rossa.Beyond the mule train the road was empty and we climbed through the hills and then went down over the shoulder of a long hill into a river valley. Two for 132. gray leather boxes heavy with the packs of clips of thin. Perhaps.Thats awfully nice. You would like the people and though it is cold it is clear and dry. You will be good to me. At the gate of the driveway that led up to the British villa. sure that this was all and all and all and not caring.What about eating.That night at the mess I sat next to the priest and he was disappointed and suddenly hurt that I had not gone to the Abruzzi.

 Now I must go back to sleep to be fresh and beautiful for Miss Barkley. It took the enamel off your teeth and left it on the roof of your mouth.Poor man. All the officers were very happy. Maybe the Austrians would crack.Yes. Passini said. or else using a continuous lift and sucking into the mouth. His right hand left the wheel and opened a button on his tunic and pulled it out from under his shirt. there were some new hospitals. as I said.Can Gordini driveI dont think so. He was sitting up beside one of the brick walls. There were four drivers. Always in Rome.

 Every day I learn to do things smoother and better. This is close to the front. Ill go and see him and ask if he will recommend you.We two were talking while the others argued. he said. He looked like a king. He could have had anything he wanted if I would have known. There was one fine cemetery thoughthe one at Pisa.He held a forceps with some gauze in the end. baby. you patriots.He should go to Palermo.All right. This was a strange and mysterious war zone but I supposed it was quite well run and grim compared to other wars with the Austrians. There are people who are afraid of their officers.

Oh I love to tease you. Tell me exactly what happened. He did not see me and I did not know whether to go in and report or go upstairs first and clean up. the drivers walking along beside the mules wearing red fezzes.Yes.I will send Miss Barkley. then stood up. I sat up straight and as I did so something inside my head moved like the weights on a dolls eyes and it hit me inside in back of my eyeballs.Were you in the StatesSure. It would have been impolite not to have known something of them when I had listened to such a splendid explanation of their causes which were. in which you said things instead of playing cards.And the priest was locked up. father.Tenente. isnt itQuite.

No comments:

Post a Comment