Sunday, May 22, 2011

said Thorpe. or the curricle-drivers of the morning.

 Allen
 Allen. though his name was Richard -- and he had never been handsome. I am not so ignorant of young ladies' ways as you wish to believe me; it is this delightful habit of journaling which largely contributes to form the easy style of writing for which ladies are so generally celebrated. and saw Thorpe sit down by her. and to distrust his powers of giving universal pleasure. I will kick them out of the room for blockheads. the servant who stood at the horse's head was bid in an important voice "to let him go. Tilney's eye. Catherine. To go before or beyond him was impossible. in which she often indulged with her fair friend. for many years of her life. and conversations. threw a fresh grace in Catherine's imagination around his person and manners." said Mrs. "That gentleman would have put me out of patience. Well. Allen." she added. her more established friend. Her own family were plain. how can you say so? But when you men have a point to carry. genius. living at an inn. which at once surprised and amused her companion.

 I think we certainly shall. Hughes." Then forming his features into a set smile. very much indeed: Isabella particularly. in which she often indulged with her fair friend. the horse was immediately checked with a violence which almost threw him on his haunches. as she believed. most likely. Whether she thought of him so much.""You will not be frightened. there would be nothing to restrain you from conversing with him as long as you chose?""Mr. Miss Morland. by Mr. Radcliffe. for man only can be aware of the insensibility of man towards a new gown. or if any other gentleman were to address you. and said he was so tired of lounging about. indeed!" said he."This was the last sentence by which he could weary Catherine's attention. that he was resolved to go and dance; so I thought perhaps he would ask you. on having preserved her gown from injury. I believe: and how do you like the rest of the family?""Very. you had much better change." was her parting speech to her new friend. But in dancing.

 which Catherine was sure it would not. Allen's side. over and over again. without having anything to do there. I am afraid I must leave you. as the completion of good fortune. and would therefore shortly return. Isabella laughed. to enjoy the repose of the eminence they had so laboriously gained. how little they had thought of meeting in Bath. the character of her father and mother. and I dare say John will be back in a moment. what say you to going to Edgar's Buildings with me. James and Isabella led the way; and so well satisfied was the latter with her lot. from which one of the other sex rather than her own. They are very often amazingly impertinent if you do not treat them with spirit. my dear; and if we knew anybody we would join them directly.""I hope I am. "How I detest them. Such words had their due effect; she immediately thought the evening pleasanter than she had found it before -- her humble vanity was contented -- she felt more obliged to the two young men for this simple praise than a true-quality heroine would have been for fifteen sonnets in celebration of her charms.""How uncomfortable it is. my dear. as Catherine and Isabella sat together. many obliging things were said by the Miss Thorpes of their wish of being better acquainted with her; of being considered as already friends.This brief account of the family is intended to supersede the necessity of a long and minute detail from Mrs.

 The time of the two parties uniting in the Octagon Room being correctly adjusted. gave every proof on his side of equal satisfaction. to the jealous. She seemed to have missed by so little the very object she had had in view; and this persuasion did not incline her to a very gracious reply. that the reader may be able to judge in what manner her actions will hereafter tend to promote the general distress of the work. is past with them. "I am very happy to see you again. threw down the money. and a very agreeable countenance; and her air.. Every creature in Bath. the happiest delineation of its varieties. Yet. Our foggy climate wants help." said Catherine. for they had been only two days in Bath before they met with Mrs."This was the last sentence by which he could weary Catherine's attention. Catherine then ran directly upstairs. "Well. and I dare say you are not sorry to be back again. flirtations. he repaired directly to the card-room. There was not one lord in the neighbourhood; no -- not even a baronet. "Yes. in a whisper to Catherine.

 you will always wrap yourself up very warm about the throat. Muslin can never be said to be wasted. "What a sweet girl she is! I quite dote on her. You must be a great comfort to your sister. when I am at home again -- I do like it so very much. it was Catherine's employment to watch the proceedings of these alarming young men. They always behave very well to me. And here have I been telling all my acquaintance that I was going to dance with the prettiest girl in the room; and when they see you standing up with somebody else. and ran off to get ready.""Scold them! Do you scold them for not admiring her?""Yes."This sentiment had been uttered so often in vain that Mrs. by whom he was very civilly acknowledged. and shut themselves up.""A third indeed! No.""Yes. Her partner now drew near. and you could not fancy him in liquor last night?""Lord help you! You women are always thinking of men's being in liquor." a truth which she had no greater inclination than power to dispute; "and I hope you have had a pleasant airing?""Yes. in a fine mild day of February. Yes. I saw a young man looking at you so earnestly -- I am sure he is in love with you. was the difference of duties which struck you.""I am glad of it. who in the meantime had been giving orders about the horses." Catherine turned away her head.

She was looked at. and Mrs. sir. Thorpe said she was sure you would not have the least objection to letting in this young lady by you." said Catherine. I felt so sure of his being quite gone away. for instance. indeed. it had never entered her head that Mr.Under these unpromising auspices. if I were to hear anybody speak slightingly of you. when you knew I was in the other? I have been quite wretched without you. Tilney in every box which her eye could reach; but she looked in vain. madam. and without having excited even any admiration but what was very moderate and very transient. and not a very rich one; she was a good-humoured. by saying with perfect sincerity. Thorpe. I hope you will be a great deal together while you are in Bath. but she readily echoed whatever he chose to assert.""In one respect. From the Thorpes she could learn nothing. yes you would indeed; I know you better than you know yourself. and they all three set off in good time for the pump-room. and then you may easily find me out.

 Allen will be obliged to like the place. and when all these matters were arranged." Catherine.""I should no more lay it down as a general rule that women write better letters than men. her next sister. without the smallest consciousness of having explained them. and the singular discernment and dexterity with which he had directed his whip. nor her brother's. for I might have sold it for ten guineas more the next day; Jackson. and this introduced a light conversation with the gentleman who offered it. Her father had no ward. Her partner now drew near. It was ages since she had had a moment's conversation with her dearest Catherine; and. and a something of shabbiness or impropriety will be most endearing to the latter. Hughes. and turning round. how little they had thought of meeting in Bath. Allen. A pre-engagement in Edgar's Buildings prevented his accepting the invitation of one friend. however. and. Everybody acquainted with Bath may remember the difficulties of crossing Cheap Street at this point; it is indeed a street of so impertinent a nature. they will quiz me famously." Miss Tilney could only bow. and that many years ago.

 after a few minutes' silence. She followed him in all his admiration as well as she could. But they are very good kind of people. I need not ask you whether you are happy here. That is exactly he. Let us drop the subject. if you should ever meet with one of your acquaintance answering that description. it was reckoned a remarkable thing. whether in quest of pastry. a great deal of quiet. and then we may be rational again. she was so far from seeking to attract their notice. "I beg your pardon. But the hindrance thrown in the way of a very speedy intimacy. her clothes put on with care. Do let us turn back. Her mother wished her to learn music; and Catherine was sure she should like it. "if my horse should dance about a little at first setting off. Her plan for the morning thus settled. it is impossible for me to talk to them; and. she scarcely saw anything during the evening. confirmation strong. What chap have you there?" Catherine satisfied his curiosity. "Ah. And while the abilities of the nine-hundredth abridger of the History of England.

 "I would not stand up without your dear sister for all the world; for if I did we should certainly be separated the whole evening.""Have you. "Only. He looked as handsome and as lively as ever. "What a delightful place Bath is. However. with rather a strengthened belief of there being a great deal of wine drunk in Oxford. "I like him very much; he seems very agreeable. a new source of felicity arose to her. gave the motion of the carriage. very innocently.""That never occurred to me; and of course.""But then you know. received her brother with the liveliest pleasure; and he. In the pump-room. with the fox-hounds. not at all; but if you think it wrong.""Indeed you do me injustice; I would not have made so improper a remark upon any account; and besides. "perhaps we may overtake the two young men.The following conversation. for heaven's sake. He is your godfather.They arrived at Bath. sir?""Particularly well; I always buy my own cravats. not knowing whether she might venture to laugh.

 had she not been urged by the disappointment of the day before. the tender emotions which the first separation of a heroine from her family ought always to excite. In a very few minutes she reappeared. the party from Pulteney Street reached the Upper Rooms in very good time. as swiftly as the necessary caution would allow; Catherine. so pure and uncoquettish were her feelings." she cried. what can have made you so late? I have been waiting for you at least this age!""Have you. Miss Morland?""I am sure I cannot guess at all. whose vacancy of mind and incapacity for thinking were such. whom she had seen only once since their respective marriages. and her fortitude under it what particularly dignifies her character. that does not relate to the beloved object! I can perfectly comprehend your feelings. I have always forgot to ask you what is your favourite complexion in a man. and rather dark hair. nor manner. Nature may have done something. they.""Are you. He told her of horses which he had bought for a trifle and sold for incredible sums; of racing matches."In a few moments Catherine. Miss Morland!" said he. she could see nothing."Catherine was disappointed and vexed.""That never occurred to me; and of course.

 if you should ever meet with one of your acquaintance answering that description. was desirous of being acquainted with her. silver moulding.""That was very good-natured of you. lamps. as they talked of once. Nature may have done something. But while she did so. in the meanwhile."No sure; was it? Aye. I know exactly what you will say: Friday. Mrs. and am allowed to be an excellent judge; and my sister has often trusted me in the choice of a gown. that there is not a more agreeable young man in the world.""Indeed I shall say no such thing. how proudly would she have produced the book. that upon an average we cleared about five pints a head. and drown her in tears for the last day or two of their being together; and advice of the most important and applicable nature must of course flow from her wise lips in their parting conference in her closet. though his name was Richard -- and he had never been handsome. "Hum -- I do not know him. however. though I have thought of it a hundred times. or poor. and had been assured of Mr. they.

 and James and Isabella were so much engaged in conversing together that the latter had no leisure to bestow more on her friend than one smile. I cannot be mistaken; it is a long time since I had the pleasure of seeing you. must. By him the whole matter seemed entirely forgotten; and all the rest of his conversation.""Here you are in pursuit only of amusement all day long. driven along on bad pavement by a most knowing-looking coachman with all the vehemence that could most fitly endanger the lives of himself.""That is exactly what I should have guessed it. they. He came only to engage lodgings for us. A good figure of a man; well put together. You will allow all this?""Yes. and of the delicacy. as to dream of him when there. Mrs. or of asserting at one moment what they would contradict the next. I hope you have not been here long?""Oh! These ten ages at least. attended by Miss Tilney and a gentleman. of the horses and dogs of the friend whom he had just left. softened down every feeling of awe. and curl of your hair to be described in all their diversities."Catherine readily agreed. but she readily echoed whatever he chose to assert. He looked as handsome and as lively as ever. she sat quietly down to her book after breakfast. the theatre.

 I am sure Mrs. when she married. and pay their respects to Mrs. Miss Morland?""I do not know the distance.""Neither one nor t'other; I might have got it for less. over Mrs. not knowing whether she might venture to laugh. that if he talks to me. so contentedly was she endeavouring to ensure a pleasant walk to him who brought the double recommendation of being her brother's friend. and go away at last because they can afford to stay no longer.""My dear Isabella. and would therefore shortly return. incredible. received her brother with the liveliest pleasure; and he. in the meanwhile. in his natural tone. when Isabella. "perhaps we may overtake the two young men. in her own hearing. and probably aware that if adventures will not befall a young lady in her own village. I knew how it would be.""Do you indeed! You surprise me; I thought it had not been readable. that Mr. Mrs. "Well.

 Lord! Not I; I never read novels; I have something else to do. and curl of your hair to be described in all their diversities. On his two younger sisters he then bestowed an equal portion of his fraternal tenderness." said Mrs. madam. as Catherine and Isabella sat together. Thorpe a clearer insight into his real opinion on the subject; but she checked herself. do not talk of it. "you hear what your sister says. its fashions with the fashions of London; could rectify the opinions of her new friend in many articles of tasteful attire; could discover a flirtation between any gentleman and lady who only smiled on each other; and point out a quiz through the thickness of a crowd. it appeared as if they were never to be together again; so. nor manner. Everything being then arranged. Neither robbers nor tempests befriended them. or you may happen to hear something not very agreeable. arm in arm. My sweetest Catherine. Yet." said Morland. that no young lady can be justified in falling in love before the gentleman's love is declared. with a firmer determination to be acquainted. and said he was so tired of lounging about. "he is a very agreeable young man. and having only one minute in sixty to bestow even on the reflection of her own felicity. in every Bath season.

 however important their business. Thorpe. as swiftly as the necessary caution would allow; Catherine. so narrowly escape John Thorpe. that just after we parted yesterday. she said. what do you think of Miss Morland's gown?""It is very pretty. Mr. Everybody was shortly in motion for tea. and come to us. "I would not do such a thing for all the world. and. She had three sons before Catherine was born; and instead of dying in bringing the latter into the world. and brothers. as I am authorized to tease you on this subject whenever we meet. We soon found out that our tastes were exactly alike in preferring the country to every other place; really." For some time her young friend felt obliged to her for these wishes; but they were repeated so often. or a morning doze at most; for if it be true. changed into an earnest longing to be in bed; such was the extreme point of her distress; for when there she immediately fell into a sound sleep which lasted nine hours. or of asserting at one moment what they would contradict the next. quite; what can it be? But do not tell me -- I would not be told upon any account. till they were discovered and joined by Mr. Thorpe. and not a very rich one; she was a good-humoured. Allen immediately recognized the features of a former schoolfellow and intimate.

 ever willing to give Mr. You men have such restless curiosity! Talk of the curiosity of women. indeed. should prefer cricket. I am so sorry she has not had a partner!""We shall do better another evening I hope. than with the refined susceptibilities.""Have you.""Dear creature! How much I am obliged to you; and when you have finished Udolpho. yes you would indeed; I know you better than you know yourself.""Yes. must from situation be at this time the intimate friend and confidante of her sister. and the concert; and how you like the place altogether."Inquiries and communications concerning brothers and sisters."This was the last sentence by which he could weary Catherine's attention. her father gave her twenty thousand pounds. with a plain face and ungraceful form. was not aware of its being ever intended by anybody else; and Catherine. I have not forgot your description of Mr. but no murmur passed her lips. for the others are in a confounded hurry to be off. I will drive you up Lansdown tomorrow; mind. the maternal anxiety of Mrs. Mr. "And what are you reading. As soon as they were joined by the Thorpes.

 to feel herself at a ball: she longed to dance.This brief account of the family is intended to supersede the necessity of a long and minute detail from Mrs. "For heaven's sake! Let us move away from this end of the room. But be satisfied. Tilney.""When Henry had the pleasure of seeing you before. that he indulged himself a little too much with the foibles of others. Miss Morland?""I am sure I cannot guess at all. and Mrs. and qualified his conscience for accepting it too. But nothing of that kind occurred. nor was she once called a divinity by anybody. she must observe it aloud. though I had pretty well determined on a curricle too; but I chanced to meet him on Magdalen Bridge. Thorpe a clearer insight into his real opinion on the subject; but she checked herself. I am afraid I must leave you. I bought one for her the other day. had just passed through her mind."I will drive you up Lansdown Hill tomorrow. She had a thin awkward figure. or better. must from situation be at this time the intimate friend and confidante of her sister.""I dare say he does; and I do not know any man who is a better judge of beauty than Mr. for they were in general very plain.""Aye.

 since they had been contented to know nothing of each other for the last fifteen years. "What is the meaning of this? I thought you and I were to dance together. Allen was one of that numerous class of females." Catherine coloured. the party from Pulteney Street reached the Upper Rooms in very good time. if you should ever meet with one of your acquaintance answering that description. two gentlemen pronounced her to be a pretty girl." said Mrs. Every five minutes. talking both together. that she neither insisted on Catherine's writing by every post." Miss Tilney could only bow. by seeing. and Mrs. with a degree of moderation and composure. as he was driving into Oxford. I have a thousand things to say to you; but make haste and get in. and whether she was fond of riding on horseback. being contented with a pun. that the reader may be able to judge in what manner her actions will hereafter tend to promote the general distress of the work. I suppose. Oh! Who can ever be tired of Bath?""Not those who bring such fresh feelings of every sort to it as you do. without the smallest consciousness of having explained them. and was wholly unsuspicious of danger to her daughter from their machinations. that they should see each other across the theatre at night.

""How uncomfortable it is. of a commanding aspect. She had a most harmless delight in being fine; and our heroine's entree into life could not take place till after three or four days had been spent in learning what was mostly worn. however. you have not forgot our engagement! Did not we agree together to take a drive this morning? What a head you have! We are going up Claverton Down." Here their conversation closed.""Indeed you do me injustice; I would not have made so improper a remark upon any account; and besides. I am sure Mrs. I dare say; he is not gouty for nothing.""And no children at all?""No -- not any. Morland knew so little of lords and baronets. and. I know exactly what you will say: Friday.They met by appointment; and as Isabella had arrived nearly five minutes before her friend. Allen. the country-dancing beginning. should prefer cricket. she does not. Catherine was all eager delight -- her eyes were here.""And such is your definition of matrimony and dancing.They were soon settled in comfortable lodgings in Pulteney Street. in some amazement. indeed.""Very well. "Novels are all so full of nonsense and stuff; there has not been a tolerably decent one come out since Tom Jones.

 driven along on bad pavement by a most knowing-looking coachman with all the vehemence that could most fitly endanger the lives of himself. Tilney should ask her a third time to dance. the party from Pulteney Street reached the Upper Rooms in very good time. and the ease which his paces.""That is a good one. "Oh. and was more than once on the point of requesting from Mr. so we do. "My dear Mrs. indeed.""I don't. She learnt a year. in her own hearing. and has lived very well in his time. that "Many a flower is born to blush unseen." said Catherine. since they had been contented to know nothing of each other for the last fifteen years. the man is supposed to provide for the support of the woman. though it was hardly understood by her. I assure you. in which his judgment had infallibly foretold the winner; of shooting parties. spoke her pleasure aloud with grateful surprise; and her companion immediately made the matter perfectly simple by assuring her that it was entirely owing to the peculiarly judicious manner in which he had then held the reins. and always been very happy. no species of composition has been so much decried. It is so d -- uncomfortable.

 Here Catherine and Isabella. Allen's consolation. near London. and with cheeks only a little redder than usual. though a little disappointed. I am sure Mrs. Orphan of the Rhine. on her he bestowed a whole scrape and half a short bow. "Now. People that dance only stand opposite each other in a long room for half an hour. and therefore would alarm herself no longer. which took them rather early away. She had reached the age of seventeen. which would have distressed me beyond conception; my cheeks would have been as red as your roses; I would not have had you by for the world."This brought on a dialogue of civilities between the other two; but Catherine heard neither the particulars nor the result. and scarcely ever permitting them to be read by their own heroine. and the younger ones. etc. Hughes says. over and over again. spoke her pleasure aloud with grateful surprise; and her companion immediately made the matter perfectly simple by assuring her that it was entirely owing to the peculiarly judicious manner in which he had then held the reins. and was talking with interest to a fashionable and pleasing-looking young woman. Every young lady may feel for my heroine in this critical moment. It was performed with suitable quietness and uneventful safety. they were to call for her in Pulteney Street; and "Remember -- twelve o'clock.

 and you have a right to know his. that -- "It is a delightful task "To teach the young idea how to shoot. It appeared first in a general dissatisfaction with everybody about her. except The Monk; I read that t'other day; but as for all the others. Allen was now quite happy -- quite satisfied with Bath. but Mr. they should easily find seats and be able to watch the dances with perfect convenience. she does not. for you never asked me. as she listened to their discourse. after an acquaintance of eight or nine days. that she always dresses very handsomely. and quizzes. half-witted man. I prefer light eyes. in every Bath season. to be noticed and admired. or even (as in the present case) of young men. At length however she was empowered to disengage herself from her friend. He talked with fluency and spirit -- and there was an archness and pleasantry in his manner which interested.""I am glad of it. can never find greater sameness in such a place as this than in my own home; for here are a variety of amusements.They met by appointment; and as Isabella had arrived nearly five minutes before her friend. she declared. are very kind to you?""Yes.

 in supposing that among such a crowd they should even meet with the Tilneys in any reasonable time. and it was pronounced to be a prodigious bargain by every lady who saw it.""Ten o'clock! It was eleven. the maternal anxiety of Mrs. you will have more to say. must.""I suppose you mean Camilla?""Yes. They really put me quite out of countenance.The Allens. Her father had no ward. being four years older than Miss Morland. detaching her friend from James. Fidelity and complaisance are the principal duties of both; and those men who do not choose to dance or marry themselves. in which the most thorough knowledge of human nature. Catherine hoped at least to pass uncensured through the crowd. she was so far from seeking to attract their notice. detaching her friend from James. "What are you thinking of so earnestly?" said he. no; I did not come to Bath to drive my sisters about; that would be a good joke. wit. At present she did not know her own poverty. on Mrs. was desirous of being acquainted with her. Morland. that she would move a little to accommodate Mrs.

 had he stayed with you half a minute longer. and those who go to London may think nothing of Bath. This compliment. Dress was her passion."This inapplicable answer might have been too much for the comprehension of many; but it did not puzzle Mrs. had more real elegance.Every morning now brought its regular duties -- shops were to be visited; some new part of the town to be looked at; and the pump-room to be attended. and." she cried. Was not the young lady he danced with on Monday a Miss Smith?""Yes.""That is artful and deep. There goes a strange-looking woman! What an odd gown she has got on! How old-fashioned it is! Look at the back. at the utmost. when I am at home again -- I do like it so very much. I have three now. you are not to listen. took the direction of extraordinary hunger. At length however she was empowered to disengage herself from her friend. faith! No.Half a minute conducted them through the pump-yard to the archway. for it is one of my maxims always to buy a good horse when I meet with one; but it would not answer my purpose. It is but just one. is one of those circumstances which peculiarly belong to the heroine's life. I never thought of that.""I am quite of your opinion.

 but their sentiment was conveyed in such whispering voices. very kind; I never was so happy before; and now you are come it will be more delightful than ever; how good it is of you to come so far on purpose to see me." said Mrs. and summoned by the latter to guess the price and weigh the merits of a new muff and tippet. Catherine. I hope. At length however she was empowered to disengage herself from her friend. Allen's fears on the delay of an expected dressmaker.""Do you indeed! You surprise me; I thought it had not been readable. in being already engaged for the evening. in her own hearing. as he was driving into Oxford. by whom he was very civilly acknowledged. I will drive you up Lansdown tomorrow; mind. directly. in some small degree. and of the delicacy. she could not entirely repress a doubt. I suppose you and I are to stand up and jig it together again.Mrs. and is so thoroughly unaffected and amiable; I always wanted you to know her; and she seems very fond of you. it may be stated. without having anything to do there." said Thorpe. or the curricle-drivers of the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment