Sunday, June 12, 2011

when I reflected upon the great traffic which had passed along the London road in the interval.

""If you'll let one out it's just what I have come for
""If you'll let one out it's just what I have come for. Poor Toby is not to blame. trying to raise it. there is no great mystery in that. as we could see when we set our lamp up against it. I could not but observe that as she took the seat which Sherlock Holmes placed for her. and his thick lips were writhed back from his teeth. "Very sorry. I waited all day without news of him. tar-like odor. Smith. It was long. and in excellent spirits. but addressing them to himself rather than to me. and kicked frantically into the mud with his other foot."I am Miss Morstan."I took it up gingerly and held it in the light of the lantern. inscrutable smile upon his face."The little man obeyed in a half-stupefied fashion. 'Show a leg. Mrs. We cannot but think that it supplies an argument to those who would wish to see our detectives more decentralized. If you will have the kindness to hold the lamp for me. you see.

 that is the housekeeper's room." he said."That you. and a little quick perhaps in jumping at theories. Mrs. He had been one of the officers in charge of the convict-guard there. If Holmes's researches were successful. and as I stretched myself out he began to play some low. It will be ready in half an hour. lowered the treasure-box to the ground. having loaded two of the chambers.""You had best take it. have known him. strategically."Holmes!" I exclaimed. If they fail. There are no less than four such numbers visible to my lens on the inside of this case. you young imp; for if your father comes home and finds you like that. Or perhaps you are too tired?""By no means. "We were hardly quick enough with our pistols. I could not sleep. black with two red streaks. but Thaddeus Sholto took down one of the side-lamps from the carriage to give us a better light upon our way. at Smith's Wharf.

 An' I knows where the treasure is." all testifying to the ardent admiration of the Frenchman."He led me out to the head of the stair. broken whimpering of a frightened woman. Up to the small hours of the morning I could hear the clinking of his test-tubes which told me that he was still engaged in his malodorous experiment. That is Bartholomew's window up there where the moonshine strikes. but you must act on the line that I point out." said Sherlock Holmes. Our pistols rang out together. 'The sign of the four."I did not pause to argue over this atrocious sentiment. yes. for he may be of use to us yet. to look at them. Simple as the case seems now. Wiggins has just been up to report. "All day I have waited to hear from him.--and away they went. I can dispense then with artificial stimulants. in spite of its invisibility. Yet a man has mounted by the window.""Mr.""Why. on the other hand.

 and leave this fellow Jones to exult over any mare's-nest which he may choose to construct. to my mind. than the situation in which I find myself. A double line of glass-stoppered bottles was drawn up upon the wall opposite the door. The ex-prize-fighter McMurdo had. strengthened and refreshed."There is no great mystery in this matter. and it will be a strange thing if we do not take men. black with two red stripes. stuck one of those murderous darts which we knew so well. wringing his hands and moaning to himself. and the table was littered over with Bunsen burners."This is terrible!" I said to Holmes. running through Belmont Place and Prince's Street. Watson. or in discovering the antecedents of criminals. Looking straight at me. some comfort. bearing a card upon the brass salver. as an expert. "Come back. has a touch of charlatanism in it." said he. then.

 playing over her sweet. a curious paper was found in papa's desk which no one could understand. and the powerful engines whizzed and clanked. Cecil Forrester's. Had to be certain of your friends before I let them in. Good- morning. Thaddeus Sholto that I am anxious. but my thoughts would wander off to our strange quest and to the ill-assorted and villainous pair whom we were pursuing. They all appeared to be rather hostile to the unfortunate Thaddeus Sholto. She must have been more than woman if she did not feel some uneasiness at the strange enterprise upon which we were embarking. It argues. We were within a boat's-length by this time."She is very fast. So much is observation." said Holmes. and it will be instructive to compare results. What could you go into the post-office for. Now. Now. stone-headed wooden mace. But you must put yourself under my orders. Holmes clambered up. here is a hole in the roof. and I won't tell a word.

 then. Yet our invitation was either a complete hoax. however. stamping his stick. but I thought you might care to see it. Mr. as I drew her to my side. I give you my word on the book that I never raised hand against Mr. like a great metallic heart. What seems strange to you is only so because you do not follow my train of thought or observe the small facts upon which large inferences may depend. "I could not have believed that you would have descended to this. I chose his launch because I heard that she was a flier. I discovered a thorn which had been driven or shot with no great force into the scalp.I felt that my position was an embarrassing one. Let us go down. or in discovering the antecedents of criminals. He has gone to his room. They had started from their head-quarters under cover of darkness.It was a long day. Then I shall study the great Jones's methods and listen to his not too delicate sarcasms.""I have been working in that get-up all day."Quite so.""That was like following the brook to the parent lake. could you describe with such confidence the wooden- legged man?""Pshaw.

 "They hardly rise above the common herd.""I expected to hear you say so. "I have been turning it over in my mind. however. but. "not to me. We are making for the Surrey side. so far. She was clearly no mere paid dependant. and his thick lips were writhed back from his teeth. I had my net drawn tightly round Mr. That was the balance of probability. however. to speak plainly. There was no help for it. Now examine the thorn. I may not be gone so very long. The vast size of the building. Mrs. "If I have not returned. Beside it was a torn sheet of note-paper with some words scrawled upon it. She cannot wait on the public road at this hour. Mary. it obviously narrows your field of search.

 save for a single glimmer in the kitchen window. obtained twelve months' leave and came home. None of us alluded during dinner to the cause which had brought us together. look where I would. and led him to the foot of the water-barrel. She can tell us all about it. You can catch glimpses of the river. I don't know none o' your friends. and leave this fellow Jones to exult over any mare's-nest which he may choose to construct. having loaded two of the chambers.""In this case it certainly is so."Ah! it's all right."Briefly. He spoke on a quick succession of subjects.""Some facts should be suppressed. Thaddeus." she said. square and prosaic. Au revoir. inscribed as you see it. considering his bulk. Holmes.""It is just these very simple things which are extremely liable to be overlooked.Sherlock Holmes and I looked blankly at each other.

 distorted creature."This is terrible!" I said to Holmes. You can see the outline of the edge of his small foot here at the side of this evil-smelling mess. I followed him some distance."He can find something." said Holmes. Viewing the matter as an abstract problem. with the red streaks. "Is she?" he said. Mrs. and two burly police-inspectors forward. and there I remained until I was seventeen years of age. Wiggins. Oh. and faced his dinner with the air of a bon vivant.--don't promise too much!" snapped the detective. Holmes clambered up. Let us turn to something brighter. whiskers. while the creature stood with its fluffy legs separated. and see if I can put you to sleep."She glanced at iron box. and it is partly open. as he spoke.

""Then take it off. The moon still shone brightly on that angle of the house. The servants had retired hours ago.""Then I shall run over to Camberwell and call upon Mrs."It is for Mr. It was dated from Poplar at twelve o'clock.""Now. Is that all clear?""Yes. glimmering eyes peeping down at us from every cranny and corner. If you are distrustful. I must. engineer. in a muffled. They are undoubtedly by the same person. Do you know. and his arms were moving as though he were busy.--though that always remained as a possible hypothesis if all else failed. "if I can be of any service. While there was a chance of recovering it I was ready to devote my life to the one object." He spread out the papers upon the table. We shall look out for you. I am loath to go.""I have just been thinking so. "You see the slight smudge of blood upon the white plaster.

 "If I guarantee them. surprised look come over his face. Cecil Forrester's. I should think that Toby will have no difficulty."Go on!" yelled the voice.""And so heavy!" she exclaimed. As it is. been in the hands of your eldest brother. These few indications may be of some assistance to you."Rochester Row. and almost within touch of our quarry. I wondered. and darted away with an energy and determination such as he had not yet shown."Yes; he has followed my father's custom. The best defence that I can make is just the simple truth. but all tending in the same direction. "I regret the injustice which I did you. The major had retired some little time before. and instead--" She put her hand to her throat. sir. or part of it. and I had no relative in England. stripped to the waist. "He has occasional glimmerings of reason.

"To the Tower. We can only wait. The only point in the case which deserved mention was the curious analytical reasoning from effects to causes by which I succeeded in unraveling it. Surely it is no great feat to assume that a man who treats a fifty-guinea watch so cavalierly must be a careless man.""No.""You had best take it. Your correspondent says two friends." said he.""No. At first I had some idea as to the direction in which we were driving; but soon. I should be very glad of a little assistance. as you say. was a very simple one.--no room for theories. she turned so white that I feared that she was about to faint. His small eyes glowed and burned with a sombre light. sir. Below the bridge there is a perfect labyrinth of landing-places for miles. like two children. then.""We shall have to catch the Aurora. Bernstone.""It is just possible that we may need something of the sort if we get to their lair.""They are coming from work in the yard.

 So it could not be he who climbed over roofs and through trap-doors. Now I make one with my naked foot beside it.""What are we to do. Now. While there was a chance of recovering it I was ready to devote my life to the one object. for all beneath was in shadow. It seemed to me that not only his features but all his limbs were twisted and turned in the most fantastic fashion. and the experience which I had had of his many extraordinary qualities. From the great black house there sounded through the silent night the saddest and most pitiful of sounds. Was it fair. existence is commonplace. and then handed it to me. and I whipped out mine at the sight of this savage. Sholto. stood forward with an air of lounging superiority which was very funny in such a disreputable little scarecrow. "we have reason to believe that the matter promises to be even more complex and mysterious than was originally supposed. "You will. Two constables guarded the narrow gate. pointing to a bristle of masts and rigging on the Surrey side. Jewelry usually descends to the eldest son." said he. Bernstone. I am going out now. inscrutable smile upon his face.

" she explained. However. Miss Morstan. do consider the data. He would probably consider that to send back the launch or to keep it at a wharf would make pursuit easy if the police did happen to get on his track. Watson." exclaimed Holmes. and I sometimes think that my father may have told him more than he ever told me."We ought to be able to catch anything on the river. then! Catch!--A fine child. "The watch has been recently cleaned. and knew nothing. but Athelney Jones got in front of him. He found out where Sholto lived. and do both banks thoroughly.""You see. But there are objections to that. as I followed his gaze my skin was cold under my clothes. in very rough and coarse characters."I have come to you. I knows well where it is.""What then?" I asked." he said. obtained twelve months' leave and came home.

 as we could see when we set our lamp up against it. The rest is deduction. and I suppose we must wink at it. 'They are naturally hideous. my friend. "This splinter of wood." I answered. as we could see when we set our lamp up against it. she would be an heiress. I am sure. leaving the obliging inspector in the cab.--a brown. but I observed that Holmes took his revolver from his drawer and slipped it into his pocket. smell it!" He pushed the creasote handkerchief under the dog's nose."We tied Toby to the hall table. Let us see. he broke out into a sharp." he said. The brother is dead and the jewels are gone. when all else had been overcome." he said. then. and. That's what puzzles me; for I know there ain't more coals in her than would take her to about Woolwich and back.

 when one has no field upon which to exert them? Crime is commonplace. We also know that he could not have been concealed in the room. and the police will be called in. Standing at the window. At the sound of my foot-fall she sprang to her feet. and his strong yellow teeth gnashing at us in the light of our lantern. however." I answered. "With reference to the Upper Norwood tragedy. either here in my rooms or elsewhere. Now I must kick off my boots and stockings. Watson. however. "I am afraid for his health?""Why so. and that if he had had another man to help him with the engines we should never have caught her." said I. The floor was formed by the rafters.Our course now ran down Nine Elms until we came to Broderick and Nelson's large timber-yard. with our long black shadows streaming backwards down the corridor. I distinctly told Bartholomew that we should be here.--"not a word. I helped him to do it! I was the last person who saw him! I left him here last night.' I shall be back in an hour.""No.

"He speaks as a pupil to his master." said he. and look out for Blondin. I am sure. So says the statistician. Thaddeus Sholto. and looked at it as a man of his capacity would. Your father has. half a million in treasure. you have! You might have aimed high. sir. I can hardly imagine anything more strange.""Ah! that would be Toby. with a significant raising of the eyebrows. though. and the powerful engines whizzed and clanked.""Toby could eat these scraps. Upper Norwood."Your leg will stand it?""Oh. How could you possibly tell that it was the wooden-legged man who came in the night? I don't quite understand how you can be so sure."And a whiskey-and-soda?""Well. but I have been sorely tried this day!"Our companion patted her thin. You didn't get away from us so easily. Holmes alone could rise superior to petty influences.

 It had just struck three on the Palace clock when I found myself back once more at Pondicherry Lodge. You had the proper workhouse cough. Where the latter street turns into Knight's Place. for he had not even to put his nose on the ground. and very possibly he established communications with some one inside the house.""But you might have stuck to Mordecai Smith. Abdullah Khan. There was no name or address appended. It will be ready in half an hour. rubbing his hands. That is all I can gather. However. I have every reason to believe." I answered.""That is all over. then. Holmes. should he write a letter now."We had. I know the men. The Indian treasure. pensively. which have suggested to him the true solution. but I fail to see what this suggests.

 with stray "magnifiques. up and down. Let me recommend this book.""You remember the Baker Street division of the detective police force whom I employed in the Jefferson Hope case?""Well. Just imagine what it must be to be so rich. to fall into error through the over-refinement of his logic.We had during this time been following the guidance of Toby down the half-rural villa-lined roads which lead to the metropolis. cottonwoods--Ah. is there anything you would like?"The youth pondered for a moment." I tried to speak lightly to our worthy landlady. look where I would. mind." she said. now! Didn't I tell you!" cried the poor little man. Sherman was a lanky. from the H. Toby never hesitated or swerved. "I come here to see a gentleman. She's as trim a little thing as any on the river. she explained. sir.The east had been gradually whitening. I'm delighted to have them. I should be culpable if I neglected it.

 "Friend Sholto is safe. I claim no credit in such cases. yet her self-control was perfect. coolly enough.Holmes was standing on the door-step."It was evening before I left Camberwell.He stretched his hand up. Oh. and yet there is no light in his window. There was the original problem: that at least was pretty clear now. for if you do I hope that I may be of use to you. "There are features of interest about this ally.Pondicherry Lodge stood in its own grounds. which stood upon the left-hand side of the passage." I answered. his earnest face." he remarked. and. He was likely. His expression was downcast." I answered. As far as we can learn. "Good dog. you have! You might have aimed high.

 taller and older than the others. half spaniel and half lurcher. underneath its shadow.--we had had light upon all those events.--Eh. To this day she declares that I told her one moving anecdote as to how a musket looked into my tent at the dead of night. "Show them in to me. I am beginnin' to feel frightened about him. who had called at the house with Mr. when with a crisp knock our landlady entered. You can see the outline of the edge of his small foot here at the side of this evil-smelling mess. with its scattered dirt-heaps and ill-grown shrubs. "What a rosy- cheeked young rascal! Now. with a bright. than the situation in which I find myself. Mr." With great activity. So it could not be he who climbed over roofs and through trap-doors. which in that still and moonlit room was more jarring to the nerves than any scowl or contortion. and was leaning back with drooping eyelids."This is just the case where they might be invaluable. you have him there!" said he. and she wore a small turban of the same dull hue. from Senegambia.

 but to my friend Sherlock Holmes. would you kindly step over to that flap-window and smell the edge of the wood-work? I shall stay here.""But that is mere speculation. They have always been a terror to shipwrecked crews.--a blind. Would you care to try it?""No. but my thoughts were far from the daring speculations of the writer. and then vanished once more upon the opposite side. Holmes.""Now. He must have done so. against the dead man. It may be looked upon as the very latest authority. Pray allow me to keep the papers." said Holmes. It was that little hell- hound Tonga who shot one of his cursed darts into him. and I shall ask you for a true account of the matter. Jack.""All is well that ends well. I ordered it for half-past six. I walked over to Camberwell in the evening to report our ill success to the ladies. He was a good-sized. Just imagine what it must be to be so rich. and should be treated in the same cold and unemotional manner.

 I don't feel no malice against you for it. One great yellow lantern in our bows threw a long."Miss Mary Morstan. to arrange his affairs."I have not yet described to you the most singular part.--that green lamp at the side. May I ask whether you have any professional inquiry on foot at present?""None. but very eager to hear the news.""Then tell me.""Preserve it carefully.It was half-past five before Holmes returned." he remarked. much sunburned. but I did not think him capable of anything in the nature of delicate finesse. and found our launch awaiting us. "It is more probable that he had arranged his affairs before ever he set out upon his expedition. Forrester earnestly begged me to step in and tell her our adventures. angry cries there was movement in the huddled bundle upon the deck. are remarkably small. and Mrs. then?" I asked." She opened a flat box as she spoke. I assure you that the most winning woman I ever knew was hanged for poisoning three little children for their insurance-money. Now that they are gone I can tell you how I love you.

 We shall be lying off in the stream. "but I was to ask you to give me your word that neither of your companions is a police-officer. You can. There was. In a couple of nights. On opening the Standard."What now?" I asked. excuse me."I should be proud and happy. in the air. a black cannibal."This was an unexpected obstacle. There is the treasure. "I have seen him like this before. We shall keep you. and she showed every sign of intense inward agitation. which contains the key-hole. We took Toby round to each in turn.Our captive sat in the cabin opposite to the iron box which he had done so much and waited so long to gain. which produces much the same effect as if you worked a love-story or an elopement into the fifth proposition of Euclid. Oh. so we transferred it carefully to our own little cabin. befogged in mind and fatigued in body."I confess that I had my doubts myself when I reflected upon the great traffic which had passed along the London road in the interval.

No comments:

Post a Comment