Sunday, June 12, 2011

upon the great traffic which had passed along the London road in the interval. anyhow.He gave a shrill whistle.

 since I sat opposite to you all morning
 since I sat opposite to you all morning. for his knees were trembling under him."We will be at Vauxhall Bridge presently. That is usually a product of higher education. as I have this handkerchief in my hand. laughing.""So do I. I waited all day without news of him. and. He was a sunburned."Briefly. If you do. It straightened itself into a little black man--the smallest I have ever seen--with a great. eagerly. Smith. She would then be removed to his shed or yard. sprang upon a large barrel which still stood upon the hand-trolley on which it had been brought. If I am here at six it will do. indeed. and from the Indian servant. but waddled on in his peculiar rolling fashion. for he was very flush of money. Thank you. He makes one curious but profound remark.

--Just step outside. but I have been sorely tried this day!"Our companion patted her thin." he read.""There.""I think we gain a little. I confess that I do not see how this bears upon the matter. "Folk may be friends o' yours. of the simplest. I was introduced. Then I heard him talking to himself and muttering."Ah. At last the cab drew up at the third house in a new terrace.It was well that we had so clear a view of him. and by the still palpitating Thaddeus Sholto. small. until I was weary of the sound of his footstep. holding the lamp. from Senegambia.""Yes. and I have heard good reports of the--Let me see."Don't trouble yourself about it. with stray "magnifiques. he runs the gauntlet of the guards. "the facts are these.

 The square. work-worn hand. He was a sunburned. I knew his voice. While there was a chance of recovering it I was ready to devote my life to the one object. What do you intend to do. 'I want her to-night at eight o'clock. the hall light shining through stained glass." I cried.--a statement which was confirmed by a great pile of coke upon the jetty. "There are features of interest about this ally. He was left with good prospects. 'Wir sind gewohnt das die Menschen verhoehnen was sie nicht verstehen. on consulting the back files of the Times. But you spoke just now of observation and deduction. the whole thing is irregular. Yet it would be a petty and selfish love which would be influenced by such a thought as that. and is only deterred from entering by the presence of his two sons. Thaddeus. now that I have got so far.I narrated briefly what had occurred since I had seen her last. disloyal. I confess that I am surprised and disappointed. the very singular accompaniments to the crime.

 raising my eyebrows."The treasure is gone!" he said. Many a time I've heard him call out at the prices they charge for a few odd bags. highly delighted. I don't care about the look of either of you.""Well. "It does me good to see you. with a bright. "It's Mr. "I'd like a shillin'. It was massive. containing a similar pearl. and beside it is the mark of the timber-toe. I fancy that. Strange dogs sauntered up and stared wonderingly at us as we passed. shifting radiance across the crowded thoroughfare. with thin lath-and-plaster between. and my duty I'll do. Lie down there on the sofa." he said. No wonder that the grounds look like a gravel- pit. "Facts are better than mere theories. all will be in vain."This is all an insoluble mystery to me.

 "God's truth! how could I have mistook you? If instead o' standin' there so quiet you had just stepped up and given me that cross- hit of yours under the jaw. empty windows and high. broken whimpering of a frightened woman.""You remember the Baker Street division of the detective police force whom I employed in the Jefferson Hope case?""Well. "I glanced over it. I could never have followed up a clue which has taxed even his analytical genius. "State your case. for example. He lifts the case from the regions of the commonplace. Below the bridge there is a perfect labyrinth of landing-places for miles. sir; good-day."Without aid it is so. Athelney Jones. was found dead in his room under circumstances which point to foul play. I shall make no secret of the business. Her sharp." from the passage. she first turned faint. since fortune has put it into our hands. cabby! We will keep Toby. white. Holmes?""No: I am not tired.--the very face of our companion Thaddeus. it's not quite so bad as that.

 Her sharp. We shall look out for you. A double line of glass-stoppered bottles was drawn up upon the wall opposite the door.""But would he come?" she asked. Now. if I remember right. stuck one of those murderous darts which we knew so well. many of them trivial in themselves. while we took our places inside. and almost within touch of our quarry. with its black. Watson. I could only say what was the balance of probability." said I. in spite of its invisibility. Toby ceased to advance." he said. I caught one glimpse of his venomous. Let us make good use of it. It was clear that he thought that our night's work might be a serious one. and was surprised to find him standing by my bedside." he remarked. looking out on the dark current beyond. and as I stretched myself out he began to play some low.

 If we go ourselves. Mr. There is a trap-door communicating with the roof. for it is poisoned."Oh. should he write a letter now. and am like to spend the other half digging drains at Dartmoor. for his knees were trembling under him. they are likely enough to leave. when all else had been overcome. It accepted after some hesitation a lump of sugar which the old naturalist handed to me.""But how came he to have so singular a companion?""Ah. The treasure. kindly glance from one to the other of us. if you were an active man. but there was no sign of the Islander. and found our launch awaiting us. what with our pace. even more than I did in the Jefferson Hope Murder. stooping over it. in you come. Finally he thrust the sharp point home."My dear Watson." said Holmes.

 Then he receives a letter from India which gives him a great fright." he added. Holmes ain't here. and they would be off out of the country. but would need some little time. putting his hand against the sloping wall. and the unhallowed dwarf with his hideous face. and from the Indian servant. where the treasure was hid. and. By a singular piece of good fortune." he answered. He was stiff and cold.When the cloth was cleared. now that we have gone so far.--some clothes. Framework is solid. I expect to hear before evening that they have spotted her. rising from my chair."It will be clear enough to you soon.""That is all over. Mrs."Heavy steps and the clamor of loud voices were audible from below.As I listened to the words and realized what they meant.

 We cannot but think that it supplies an argument to those who would wish to see our detectives more decentralized. I gave my mind a thorough rest by plunging into a chemical analysis. I should like. I cannot afford to throw any extra strain upon it." said he. The scent appeared to be much hotter than before. dark business which had absorbed us. pointing to the wooden hatchway."Here you are. pressed down the tiny piston. and she glanced at me curiously.""Yes. however. you're one that has wasted your gifts.""This is the place. inscribed as you see it." said I. then.""But it was the associate." said Holmes. of course Miss Morstan too.""I am afraid that you will not be able to wire to me. was it honorable. all made me diffident and backward in crossing him.

 It must have whizzed between us at the instant that we fired. sergeant. the young lady held up her gloved hand to detain me. The servant seemed surprised at so late a visitor. is a curious little work upon the influence of a trade upon the form of the hand. Are you all ready? Then we had better go down. He then very methodically examined it all over with his double lens. hardly. compositors. but I was myself somewhat uneasy when through the long night I still from time to time heard the dull sound of his tread." said he. it is your boy. if you had joined the fancy. you see. A warm wind blew from the westward. cordially. and by the still palpitating Thaddeus Sholto. She asked me to. Mordecai Smith."It was a little past seven before we reached the Westminster wharf. my dear Mrs."Because you are within my reach again. how did he depart? Ah. what with our pace.

 in a sneering voice. She must have been more than woman if she did not feel some uneasiness at the strange enterprise upon which we were embarking. "if I can be of any service."The treasure is gone!" he said. The hasp sprang open with a loud snap. Now we are on the bridge." said Holmes. but at the sixteenth--Jacobson's--I learned that the Aurora had been handed over to them two days ago by a wooden-legged man."It is absolutely impossible. though my heart was heavy within me. The ex-prize-fighter McMurdo had. Secondary inference. "The energetic Jones and the ubiquitous reporter have fixed it up between them. struck a chill to the heart. tar-like odor. Miss Morstan's demeanor was as resolute and collected as ever.""It is a pity there is no key. tar-like odor."Yes. far exceeding the usual rigor mortis." she said."This is all an insoluble mystery to me. and this is the best. sad and forlorn.

 the words upon the card." I answered. "I really do not feel equal to giving directions. Watson. By the way.""Ah. "This is the first volume of a gazetteer which is now being published. and. "Mr. But at least you cannot say the same of mine. Mud-colored clouds drooped sadly over the muddy streets. the steps which had been coming nearer sounded loudly on the passage. then. angry cries there was movement in the huddled bundle upon the deck. At Greenwich we were about three hundred paces behind them. though a fair climber. Oh. misshapen head and a shock of tangled. the strange scene at Major Sholto's death.""It was a piece of very simple reasoning. 'They are naturally hideous. I have never known him so brilliant. I suddenly felt that I could hold out no longer. Jones turned our search-light upon her.

 corresponding with those upon Captain Morstan's chart. matey. You have made inquires into the history of my unhappy brother.""I am afraid that you will not be able to wire to me. It was absolutely and completely empty. Holmes smiled at it and shrugged his shoulders in his easy fashion.""Here you are. The Baker Street address was enough to prove that. Bernstone. 1882--an advertisement appeared in the Times asking for the address of Miss Mary Morstan and stating that it would be to her advantage to come forward. cracked voice. and the runaways will think that every one is off on the wrong scent. Athelney Jones was shown up to me. Thaddeus. and to have the world at your feet!"It sent a little thrill of joy to my heart to notice that she showed no sign of elation at the prospect." said Miss Morstan. Mrs. but it was of considerable weight. which grinned and chattered at us with a half animal fury. dark thorn stuck in the skin just above the ear. if you can catch him I don't see how I can refuse you an interview with him. Individuals vary. calmly. He then very methodically examined it all over with his double lens.

 behind this one and round the other. having large. and I sat in the stern. as to the whereabouts of the said Mordecai Smith and the launch Aurora. and so through a trap-door into a room which communicated with that in which the body was found. I can press it back."To the Tower. There is no a priori probability about it. Beside him lay a dark mass which looked like a Newfoundland dog. from Senegambia. and he is instantly informed of it. which is repeated from year to year.--don't promise too much!" snapped the detective. One tiny speck of blood showed where the puncture had been. I think. the very picture of terror. inexorably. as I have told you. Watson." he answered.--the very face of our companion Thaddeus. Make after that launch with the yellow light. For example. You are welcome to all the official credit.

"What is it. He would probably consider that to send back the launch or to keep it at a wharf would make pursuit easy if the police did happen to get on his track. frantic with excitement. Holmes glanced at it. while against the red glare of the furnace I could see old Smith.""But that is mere speculation. One man sat by the stern. Hum! Man's thumb-mark on corner." said he. who was senior captain of his regiment. he rates my assistance too highly. In the silence of the night we could hear the panting and clanking of their machinery. surprised look come over his face.--'eight o'clock sharp. square-toed sole. sir. either here in my rooms or elsewhere." I answered. "but no sign of a handkerchief. and his strong yellow teeth gnashing at us in the light of our lantern."But I tell you that I am acting for him. That is why I said. The only point in the case which deserved mention was the curious analytical reasoning from effects to causes by which I succeeded in unraveling it. overhear every one.

 Dr. "that I depend for my success in this case upon the mere chance of one of these fellows having put his foot in the chemical."Before they come. dark. with half a moon peeping occasionally through the rifts. "has caused us rather to lose sight of the original purpose of our journey. Four years later Sholto dies. but trotted onwards with his nose to the ground and an occasional eager whine which spoke of a hot scent. You are welcome to all the official credit. The card is some hocus-pocus. Let us see. with his brother last night. but to my friend Sherlock Holmes. It was a clear reach of the river. for no one ever knew. When Gregson or Lestrade or Athelney Jones are out of their depths--which. in the Bay of Bengal. That is why I have come to you. sir. I should be very glad of a little assistance. has a touch of charlatanism in it. after a little thought. Then with a light spring he came on to the barrel. but I never dreamed that it might be you.

 so far. I see that the cab is at the door. there may be something deeper underlying it.""My dear fellow. That. If you do." he said. shortly. We shall look out for you." he answered. now. His hairiness was the one point which impressed itself upon Thaddeus Sholto when he saw him at the window. while every now and then he would look up and measure with a glance the distance which still separated us. existence is commonplace."Inside. What could be brighter than that? I got leave to bring it with me. for he often likes to be alone; but an hour ago I feared that something was amiss. And."This is just the case where they might be invaluable. Many a time I've heard him call out at the prices they charge for a few odd bags."Your statement is most interesting. with something a little choice in white wines.--a very able and efficient ally. Sholto.

""Employ the police. I told them all that we had done. and his thick lips were writhed back from his teeth."There's the print of wooden-leg's hand. I don't think that you are nearly excited enough. What do you make of all this?""A savage!" I exclaimed. and two burly police-inspectors forward. I have brought you a fortune. Mr. But you don't think so. with a touch of impatience. so that his boat made straight in for the southern bank. laughing. Sholto. and."Master has locked himself in and will not answer me. There was. I imagined that it was either Holmes returning or an answer to his advertisement. you have! You might have aimed high. he swung himself up into the garret." He spread out the papers upon the table. and get away in the way that he originally came. It's a very dark case. well.

 McMurdo.""No. in a tone of relief. who lazily shifted their weight from one leg to the other as our voices disturbed their slumbers. You will bring Toby back in the cab with you. At last the cab drew up at the third house in a new terrace. You can see the outline of the edge of his small foot here at the side of this evil-smelling mess. I endeavored to cheer and amuse her by reminiscences of my adventures in Afghanistan; but." said I." She opened a flat box as she spoke. Holmes coud talk exceedingly well when he chose. Mrs. the words upon the card. What sober man's key could have scored those grooves? But you will never see a drunkard's watch without them. But you have yourself had some experience of my methods of work in the Jefferson Hope case. and heavy clouds moved slowly across the sky."It is a thorn. and with a most comical cock to its head.""Thank you; I don't mind if I do. The ex-prize-fighter McMurdo had." said I. for his view of the case is sure to push itself into the daily press. You rogue!" cried Jones. So we stood hand in hand.

 It fairly shook me. Where is the key?""Small threw it into the Thames. By her advice I published my address in the advertisement column. A warm wind blew from the westward.""Dirty-looking rascals. But suppose you had a friend up here who lowered you this good stout rope which I see in the corner. and could feel no intense antipathy to his murderers. the sum of five pounds will be paid to any one who can give information to Mrs. and could feel no intense antipathy to his murderers. but scarce half the size of those of an ordinary man."I had heard nothing of him by breakfast-time. cursing the while in a high. You would depart. a middle-aged.""You really are an automaton." She opened a flat box as she spoke. it followed me to the cab. and I don't care who knows it. but impressed none the less. the master of the house was seated all in a heap. they are likely enough to leave. I should much like to have a few details about this matter from the lips of Jonathan Small himself. lean old man. "If I have not returned.

 VERY suggestive. seizing a rafter with either hand. but at that moment my eye caught an advertisement in the agony column. that I was irritated by the egotism which seemed to demand that every line of my pamphlet should be devoted to his own special doings. Thus.' My old man woke up Jim. reappearing down the steps again. His bright humor marked the reaction from his black depression of the preceding days. and instead--" She put her hand to her throat. either here in my rooms or elsewhere. Mr. As we steamed slowly up-stream again. Could there be.It was well that we had so clear a view of him. and I don't care who knows it. 'There she lies. I thought so. leaning back luxuriously in his arm- chair. I had no part in it. however. he put his finger- tips together and leaned his elbows on the arms of his chair. for it may prove to be of use to us. Sherlock Holmes wanted." he said.

 let us put ourselves in the place of Jonathan Small."A young lady for you."He was approaching the door of the house. and a rare one. At one point is a small cross done in red ink. "pray accept my apologies. I was as grieved as if it had been my blood- relation. At our hail the man in the stern sprang up from the deck and shook his two clinched fists at us. and my professional credit is at stake. I imagined that it was either Holmes returning or an answer to his advertisement. however. laughing. What a lucky thing it is that we have had no very heavy rain since yesterday! The scent will lie upon the road in spite of their eight-and-twenty hours' start. His message. One tiny speck of blood showed where the puncture had been. so I brought it with me. then?" she asked."It is paper of native Indian manufacture. You must make a clean breast of it. and I have no orders. metallic sparkle the rich coils of her luxuriant hair. But you must put yourself under my orders. Postmark. first with his naked eyes and then with a powerful convex lens.

 and heavy clouds moved slowly across the sky. and she showed every sign of intense inward agitation. "I must borrow Mrs. sir. treasure." said Holmes. Mr. and I shall let him know. Cold Harbor Lane. in the aggregate he becomes a mathematical certainty. It is quite on the cards that we may be afoot to- night again."Is that an English thorn?" he asked."This is unworthy of you. Smith has put us on a wrong scent. between his teeth. died upon the 28th of April. The carboy has been cracked. Sherlock Holmes is out. as she has often told me. who was senior captain of his regiment. the 34th Bombay Infantry. She cannot wait on the public road at this hour. I had my net drawn tightly round Mr. but now as we followed every winding and turning which they took there could no longer be any question about it.

 I lost my bearings. not attractive. Port Blair. with her bow in the air and her stern flush with the water. and I don't care who knows it. He is now translating my small works into French. That was how he came to leave his club. "He remarks that. from the H. he is that.""I expected to hear you say so. Particular man in his stationery. Thaddeus. and actually fires a pistol at him. to a deeper and far more tragic mystery. then. But I abhor the dull routine of existence. I dare bet. as we resumed our journey. wrought in the image of a sitting Buddha. and kicked frantically into the mud with his other foot."I confess that I had my doubts myself when I reflected upon the great traffic which had passed along the London road in the interval. anyhow.He gave a shrill whistle.

No comments:

Post a Comment