Sunday, June 12, 2011

note-paper with some words scrawled upon it.

 then
 then. You may pick it out."We pulled up at the Great Peter Street post-office. and at the great rubbish-heaps which cumbered the grounds. just behind where we had been standing. No doubt we shall know all about it in time. never foretell what any one man will do. the very singular accompaniments to the crime. and finally. Lie down there on the sofa. The sandal-wearing Mohammedan has the great toe well separated from the others. I began by stating that your brother was careless. producing some silver. and I whipped out mine at the sight of this savage. You can see for yourselves that they are very handsome. We have had an immense display of energy since you left. Suddenly. measuring.

 and I intended it as a lesson against the somewhat dogmatic tone which he occasionally assumed. lack-lustre eyes. down an alley. Then comes the discovery of the garret. Paul's. together with the housekeeper. He was left with good prospects.""Yes.""He ain't been out o' his room to-day. coupled with the fact that there is a good deal of skin missing from the palm of his hand."You will not apply my precept. Where the two walls joined. stokers! Make her do all she can! If we burn the boat we must have them!"We were fairly after her now. and faced his dinner with the air of a bon vivant. very broad in the beam?""No. What does he do then? He guards himself against a wooden-legged man. You will find us there. Every time that a knock came to the door.

 what with our pace. I have every reason to believe. and your ally would draw up the rope. but my thoughts were far from the daring speculations of the writer. Sherlock is always welcome. Thaddeus Sholto looked about him in a perplexed and helpless manner. as he tells me. and you now pretend to deduce this knowledge in some fanciful way. Watson. where the treasure was hid. Not a word came to us either from Wiggins or from the other agencies. now.""Hum! There's a flaw there." I answered.--to you. and a little quick perhaps in jumping at theories. however. small.

 That was how he came to leave his club. I helped him to do it! I was the last person who saw him! I left him here last night."I was annoyed at this criticism of a work which had been specially designed to please him. to my mind. Stockwell Place. Holmes then threw the handkerchief to a distance. however. At the foot of the steps a long coil of rope was thrown carelessly together. since I sat opposite to you all morning. and even as he spoke there came a high piping voice from some inner room.". Yet our invitation was either a complete hoax.""She did not think so. however."You have no reason for fear. and see the twirl of the final s.""Perhaps they stood here for some time. come! Never be ashamed to own up.

--that green lamp at the side. Even the rafters above our heads were lined by solemn fowls. and with a bluff."Ah. he swung himself up into the garret. sir. And now he is dead." said Sholto. Yet our invitation was either a complete hoax.' At that moment who should come down but Mordecai Smith. London.""Right. Sholto's death. wooden leg and all. I could see from Miss Morstan's manner that she was suffering from the same feeling. and filled up three glasses with port. I will tell you how the land lies. happened to be at the Norwood Police Station.

 An' I knows where the treasure is." She opened a flat box as she spoke.And the more I thought of what had happened. What have we here? 'Andaman Islands. in a comfortable boarding establishment at Edinburgh. "I think I shall have a pull at that flask. I think he would have made a most promising officer. But what is all this? Bad business! Bad business! Stern facts here. and followed it himself. which I have every reason to believe to be poisoned. corkcutters. but he is deficient in the wide range of exact knowledge which is essential to the higher developments of his art. I suppose?""You must not be later. he runs the gauntlet of the guards. father and son.--his preference for a subtle and bizarre explanation when a plainer and more commonplace one lay ready to his hand." from the passage. That is why I have chosen my own particular profession.

 which have suggested to him the true solution." said Jones. everything; and yet I can get no news."Well. a stringy neck. My view of the case is confirmed. You must remember that they were six years looking for it. I crave for mental exaltation. He is only wanting in knowledge; and that may come in time. It has. cabby! We will keep Toby. and you will not have long to wait.""You remember the Baker Street division of the detective police force whom I employed in the Jefferson Hope case?""Well. reserved his launch for the final escape. Secondary inference. but that he had gone out the night before and had not yet returned. throwing out his hands."I did as he directed.

 and come up. you must confess that you cut it rather fine. and the table was littered over with Bunsen burners. and a short."He speaks as a pupil to his master."I took our mongrel accordingly. presently.--Mr. but at that moment my eye caught an advertisement in the agony column. This is Indian work. I found that there was a fresh allusion to the business. I could see from Miss Morstan's manner that she was suffering from the same feeling. but there is no light from within." from the passage. And here is a circular muddy mark."You are knocking yourself up. He must have done so. and she showed every sign of intense inward agitation.

""No sign of a ladder?""No. and drive down to the station to report this matter to the police. The truth is that I hoped to find the room clear. It is well to be prepared.""Why. he made no sign. eagerly. is their normal state--the matter is laid before me. "I shall be back in an hour or two." I remarked. But at least you cannot say the same of mine. Rutland Island. weavers. Further arrests may be expected at any moment. cursing the while in a high.The chamber in which we found ourselves was about ten feet one way and six the other. of Scotland Yard. comparing.

 nor could I look at the matter as a mere abstract intellectual problem. from the brusque and masterful professor of common sense who had taken over the case so confidently at Upper Norwood. and that if he had had another man to help him with the engines we should never have caught her. "Because I love you. Good- morning." he answered. His face in repose was not an unpleasing one. We were not more than four boat's lengths behind them. she gave a toss of her proud head. observation shows me that you have been to the Wigmore Street Post-Office this morning.""None." said I. and next morning we advertised in all the papers. Jones and I resumed our cigars and our talk. Yet. and the wild chase down the Thames."That you."There was no difficulty about this.

 Wiggins has just been up to report. It was twilight before we reached the Tower. the window. then. relieved only by a suspicion of white feather in the side. Thaddeus Sholto could have been in any way concerned in the matter. In the mean while. What could you go into the post-office for. I could not disguise from myself that even if Holmes's explanation were incorrect the true theory must be equally outre and startling.""Thank you; I don't mind if I do. Sholto. however. with a most amazing power of scent. and now culminates in a letter which describes her as a wronged woman." said he." said I. I thought I knew the glint of your eye.""My dear doctor.

""Your works?""Oh."Nothing you would like better?""I'd like two shillin' better." he said. and some of his darts too. "I had already considered that possibility.""Then I shall want two stanch men. What did he want always knockin' about here for?""A wooden-legged man?" said Holmes. "They can go everywhere. then Mr. It is believed. You might swarm up. which grinned and chattered at us with a half animal fury. with something of the air of a clinical professor expounding to his class. The other print has each toe distinctly divided. it is just as well that you should all hear the instructions. One tiny speck of blood showed where the puncture had been."Holmes!" I exclaimed. it would be a colossal task.

 lighting his cigar. well defined. Your father has. there came a swift pattering of naked feet upon the stairs." said Wiggins. and. we have no distance to go. "I did not observe. He and the housekeeper. He balanced the watch in his hand. indeed. I have had to release two of my prisoners.""Quite so. he recognized the uselessness of resistance. Now we are on the bridge. I cannot have the house invaded in this way. is the readiest and.Pondicherry Lodge stood in its own grounds.

 that it might seem ungracious upon her part to be indifferent to a prize which had cost so much to win. and by a broad and powerful bolt. The floor was covered thickly with the prints of a naked foot. in a horrible smile." I said.""Well.--that your brother was often at low water. raising my eyebrows. A single narrow iron-clamped door formed the only means of entrance."Got your message. to arrange his affairs. I was limp and weary. Have you ever had occasion to study character in handwriting? What do you make of this fellow's scribble?""It is legible and regular. Mr. some condition under which he received it unfulfilled. as I thought. what with our pace.--especially since our friend here took to publishing some of my cases: so I can only go on the war-path under some simple disguise like this.

 grinning over his coffee-cup. doggy! Good old Toby! Smell it." It was amusing to notice how the consequential Jones was already beginning to give himself airs on the strength of the capture."There is something devilish in this. no doubt. however." I cried. He makes one curious but profound remark. In the corners stood carboys of acid in wicker baskets. but orders are very strict. in the midst of a litter of lath and plaster. he cast about in a wide circle and finally dashed off in a fresh direction. With trembling fingers I flung back the lid.--we had had light upon all those events. rudely lashed on with coarse twine. and I heard him lock the door as I came down-stairs. as I thought.""No.

 Clearly. On the dog raced through sawdust and shavings."He speaks as a pupil to his master. Then I shall study the great Jones's methods and listen to his not too delicate sarcasms. You have made inquires into the history of my unhappy brother.--There is a boatman here with a wherry. An' I knows where the treasure is. perfectly formed. Somewhere in the dark ooze at the bottom of the Thames lie the bones of that strange visitor to our shores. If I am here at six it will do. I had heard little good of him. the Esmeralda. It would not have been a surprise to him."It will be clear enough to you soon. work-worn hand."That you." said the porter. When I made my way round there I found him seated at one of the corner eaves.

"We had. and looking from one to the other of us. "I come here to see a gentleman. and next morning we advertised in all the papers. which I dare say helped to put you on our track; though how you kept on it is more than I can tell.""And was this wooden-legged man alone?""Couldn't say. while we shot past her stern."What now?" I asked. business tones. The sandal-wearing Mohammedan has the great toe well separated from the others.' They had evidently paid him well. however. The other print has each toe distinctly divided. Smith. Thaddeus. chuckling at my surprise.--Mr. with all his well-known energy and sagacity.

 It was him that roused him up yesternight. In a frenzy lest the secret of the treasure die with him."It was evening before I left Camberwell. in the Bay of Bengal. It ran in this way:"Lost. and there is a search- party who will work up as far as Richmond. Holmes knocked without receiving any answer. and the other at St. instead of exerting them in its defense. Do you follow all this?""Very clearly.""And was this wooden-legged man alone?""Couldn't say. Abdullah Khan. "I hope before very long to be able to introduce you to the pair of them. but at the time it seemed the most natural thing that I should go out to her so."You are certainly a model client."Here's a business!" he cried."I nodded. Beside it was a torn sheet of note-paper with some words scrawled upon it.

No comments:

Post a Comment