Monday, March 18, 2013

The James Beard Foundation announced

The James Beard Foundation announced the final nominees Monday for its 2013 Book, Broadcast and Journalism awards (as well as its Chef and Restaurant finalists). The Brooklyn-based Hanawalt is nominated in the Humor category for the “Chefs” piece she created for Lucky Peach, who features “I was super-surprised — I never realized that the Beard Awards had a category for ‘Journalism/Humor,’ and I’m just thrilled to be nominated alongside some of the chefs I illustrated,” Hanawalt tells Comic Riffs. “Now I’m trying to figure out how to get a Tony award via comics. ... ” One chef she illustrated, David Chang of New York’s Momofuku Noodle Bar, is nominated for Outstanding Chef; and another, April Bloomfield of the Spotted Pig, is nominated for Best Chef NYC. The media winners will be announced May 3; the chef/restaurant winners will be announced three days later. (Also nominated: Washington Post contributor and chef/consultant Aliza Green, for her article “The gloves can come off, as far as I’m concerned.”) Yet again, when it comes to illustrated journalism, true talent rises like a souffle.

No comments:

Post a Comment